PDA

View Full Version : faradays laws of generation(application)

Akshat
08-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Hi
This is Akshat.
I have the problem is to:-
Q1: how to TEST & Implement faradays law (i.e. relative motion between magnetic field around the coil,generates electricity) concept?
Q2: What will be the material of the coil used?

-} Actually i want to test this concept by Magnetic bar on magnetic coil so that i can small amount of power can be generated in coil!!!!

Q3: Therefore What should be the minimal distance b/w the coil and magnetic bar as well as what sould be the relative speed between magnetic coil and magnetic bar (to get flux variation)
NOTE:-PLZ GIVE REASONS OR ANSWER IF U HAD TRIED URSELF OR PRACTICALLY IMPLEMENTED DATA!!

docel
08-08-2006, 12:35 AM
Hi!
There are many ways this coan be demonstrated.
1. 3000 turns of #36 gauge copper wire around a 1/2" X 1.5" bolt.
2. Rare-earth NIB magnet (from butchered HDD)
3. Dual color LED (Red & green ) connected to the ends of the coil.
4. OR, 2 different color LEDs connected anti-parallel ( NO dropping resistance!)

The LED will glow when the magnet is moved towards and away from the Bolt. The color LED s will light up, indicating current generation /induction in the coil. The movement towards the coil will lifght up 1 color LED and the away movement will light up the other color LED.

8O CAUTION !!!
1. STICK DOUBLE SIDE TAPE AROUND THE MAGNET.

2. Never allow the magnet to "slam" against the bolt!

3. Watch your fingers and keep some BandAid ready!! Those magnets are KILLERS!!!

This is my usual 'First Demo' to students and never fails ...to impress!

Akshat
08-08-2006, 08:17 AM
Thank u so much DOCEL!!!

But still left out questions exist! plz....plz explain me:-
Q1:What is "NIB magnet" ?
Q2:What is "butchered HDD" ?
Q3:Is there should be a relative speed b/w magnetic bar and coil to generate a suitable amount of voltage generation?
Q4:As ur using LEDs i.e. should be low voltage then how it is so dangerous to do???
Q5:AND What will be the safe smallscale generated voltage expected at this experiment?

PLZ. give reply to these question as it is very important for me!!!
And thanks once again u given me some direction for my hope!!
Akshat

docel
08-10-2006, 04:51 AM
Q1:What is "NIB magnet" ?
Neodymium-Indium-Boron rare-earth super magnets. The strongest magnets.

Q2:What is "butchered HDD" ?
Open a HardDiskDrive, find the head moving arm with 2 magnets. remove these VERY carefully :!:

Q3:Is there should be a relative speed b/w magnetic bar and coil to generate a suitable amount of voltage generation?
Less speed less V & I, more speed more V & I.

Q4:As ur using LEDs i.e. should be low voltage then how it is so dangerous to do???
Those crazy magnets will shatter into 2,345,678 million pieces 8O if smacked together from a distance! Anything inbetween- 8O finger, paper, wood, glass etc ., will be crushed. ( Hence the need for Band-Aid :!: )

Q5:AND What will be the safe smallscale generated voltage expected at this experiment?
This will depend upon the Coil dimensions, no. of turns, core material, type / size / shape of magnets, speed / distance of movement of magnets, etc.,

All the same , these magnets and the whole Demo is a great attractor of the crowds. Will always wake up sleeping kids after a 3hour VIP speech program into wide eyed excited group, who become bonded slaves to you. They will be 'permanently attracted' to you....!

Akshat
08-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Thank u so much for clearing my douts

"I M FEELING LUCKY THAT I M INTERACTING WITH A HIGHLY KNOWLEDGABLE PERSON THAT I HAD EVER MEET OR INTERACT"

Docel there is some comments on my this experiments that:-0 :-
-> there is only to and fro motion required (i.e. magnet to move forward & reverse fastly) or for example like generator u will require a rotating varying field for generation of A.C. electricity..
-> As :arrow: f=(p*n)/120, therefore for A.c. generation of about 50 Hz and 2 pole magnetic coil 3000 turns required and so for :arrow: E=w*N*Q*Sin(wt)
How can be speed of magnetic bar can be calculated so as to get a 220V a.c supply!!
-> Lastly, What will be the direction of current , if we move magnetic bars in single directions over the coil many times (eg: 4-5 times quickly with small gaps in interval)???

Actually i had asked these :roll: question bcoz now im trying it to apply in a new engineering generation method project.I will be thankfull to u if u give some more knowledge/information if any!!!
THANK U ONCE AGAIN :wink: AND I THINK U HAD GIVEN ME INFORMATION WILL BE ENOUGH TO COMPLETE THIS EXPERIMENT!!!
Akshat

Akshat
09-05-2006, 04:58 PM
docel!it is not be good/appropiate for using 36# gauge copper wire in bolt of 1/2"*1.5" therefore we have use 42# copper wire!!!
by using HDD only 2 micro amperes is generated!can u plz help how to increase voltage and current in this experiment??!!!

docel
09-12-2006, 07:49 AM
0 m, ,
Hi Akshat!
The Current will depend on the number of turns as well. If the Turns are more and the wire dia. is less, then the Ohmic resistance increases. This will reducce the Current!!

The current also depends on the Rate of change of the magnetic flux, the CORE material and the AIR GAP. This has to be very close (.1 to .3mm).

Akshat
09-12-2006, 10:27 PM
0 m, ,
Hi Akshat!
The Current will depend on the number of turns as well. If the Turns are more and the wire dia. is less, then the Ohmic resistance increases. This will reducce the Current!!

The current also depends on the Rate of change of the magnetic flux, the CORE material and the AIR GAP. This has to be very close (.1 to .3mm).

This means that if i m using larger gauge copper wire current will be more induced!!!
is I m saying is correct!!???
plz give reply!!!

docel
09-13-2006, 07:25 AM
Partially, Yes. but...
The power developed will remain constant for any setup. If the Current is high, the Voltage will be low....and so on!! Simply speaking- P=ExI.

(Unfortunately, these are NOT simultaneous as in DC Switching and there is a LEAD-LAG situation. And the frequency of these changes has a lot to do with the size of the coil, not to forget the electron deflection angle of the magnetic field.... :roll: )

OK .I'll borrow a Cam and post a pic of my coil maybe evening.