PDA

View Full Version : Thinking for Embedded Systems???

krishnabhargav
10-28-2004, 05:21 PM
hi ,
I always had this doubt.How do you guys actually get to what CHIP to use.I mean their number thing etc.for eg:- I want to go for a pressure sensor and i dont even know if its available as an IC.(hey i dont neeed any pressure sensor now,just for example).This chip related things are a big mess but i love them ;),their specification and that do we get them in India?? etc.
Now suppose that i have a remote controlled car.Usually it ll have a lever tat when moved front moves the car to the front and when moved back moves the car back.But when we want to automate it what i think we must do is to remove that remote and connect it to the Pc or a uController.But how do we know wat signal actually the remote gives to the CAR when the lever is up or down.There must be some voltage levels na how do we get to think in that dimension??Also in my dummb embdd sys course they conducted a hardware interfacing lab where ther are ready made kits and we just need to load the hex code into the kit !! they said they use a driver to convert the voltage levels provided by uC to that required by the motor.How do we think in that dimension??? too many questions naa ok enough for now i still have many questions i ll post them later.
I want commonsense required for Embedded Systems ;;) how do i get that??
Bhargav.

daaBRAT
10-28-2004, 05:36 PM
Dude,

You've got a long way to go... I suggest you read up EVERYTHING on roboticsindia.com (and then thank the people behind the articles:-) )

BTW, which course is this and where is it available? What was the syllabus like ??

vikas
10-28-2004, 06:43 PM
Hello

Nice To see that you are getting into embedded Systems . Like the daabrat said please go though things of roboticsindia.com . Embedded System commonsese you will have once you have done some serious projects . I mean given an application you can see it in your head how you can do it in uC / on board controller . For example your remote control application ... we assume that you board is running on CMOS levels ( 0 - 5V ) . So For a basic board on the robot side youw will have a RF reciver , ( Filter logic / Data packet proessing logic ) and in the end a simple Motor control IC ( like the l293d ) . Now suppose you want to know what signal the remote is sending we will bug the car board with a voltage
monitor ( which is mostly connected to the PC ) . So when the signal comes you have a nice display of the Signal recived on your Pc ( What ever action signal it is ) . Now you are required to send something similar .... This is just an idea .

From what i think ES is all about doing things making projects etc ( I never did any course i did make lots of project though ) .

So my advice take on a project ( however simple ) . And execute it freom start to end if you get in any problem we are here to help you .

Vikas

happy_99
10-29-2004, 01:15 AM
So my advice take on a project ( however simple ) . And execute it freom start to end if you get in any problem we are here to help you .

Vikas

This's the best and efficient way to learn things !! If you look at robotics india, you'll see most of the people will be or had been around some simple simple projects. And this way they learnt a lot of things. Everthing is there on roboticsindia, to start with. Parallel port tuts, uC tuts and a lot.

Regds

happy_99

krishnabhargav
10-29-2004, 08:27 AM
hi,
thanks daaBrat for your reply and coming to my course structure its offered by a Bangalore based company by name "United Technologies Limited" they have a branch over here in Hyderabad.They usuallly charge some 35 K odd but they have tied up an MoU with my college (vasavi coll of engg) and they charge 22K for us.Their course structure is :
Module 1 :
BAsic Electronics
MicroCOntrollers-8051
Module 2:
x86 MicroProcessor and Assembly language prog.
Advanced C,C++(they might teach that hardware prog.)
UML
PowerPC processor.
Module 3
RTOS
Linux OS + Linux Device Drivers + others
VxWorks.
Finally they said they ll make us do a project.Well they promised a lot of things and i dont know how far they stand on that.That was actually a customised course.They removed few topics from the 35K course and made it 22K like interfacing part,porting the source code into uC etc.If anyones intersted to join EMbdd systems then the best place in hyderabd is DEpik but he takes only graduates who are working.He charges some 18K i think but teaches some really good stuff.
Thanks Vikas for your suggestions,as of now i cant start anything until dec 1st cos i have semester exams.I was just curious to know all this stuff so that i can think of them when i want to relax.i did not get your point of connecting wires to the PC port and then getting a signal,how cum?One question here : whats the voltage level a PC parallel port gives or takes in?Suppose its +5V and i have a DC motor tat runs on +5V then can that motor be driven directly without any intermediate electronic interface just by connecting the motor wires to two pins??(make one 0 other 1(+5V))?? See you might be thinking hes asking too many questions.Such questions can be answered only through experience and we dont find them in textbooks and they are not my homework questions;)
You all guys said read all in RI.Well very kind of that but i have another question here "TELL ME the order to read" like i cant read directly some adv topic.Like if anyone wants to learn prog in C we say first learn hello world prg then go for variables then arrays ....... blah blah.So can anyone tell me wat to learn.I know how to prog a 8051,m good at windows prog.My electronics knowledge is good but all boookish.
Once again thanks for you all guys and hope one day i ll repay you all back for your help.
Bhargav

daaBRAT
10-30-2004, 11:49 AM
The reason I asked you abt the company is that I'm planning to join something similar next semester myself.. but this course focusses mostly on programming for embedded devices: uCLinux, WinCE.... that kind of stuff....

One piece of advice is to make sure that your teachers make you implement stuff on real PCBs, breadboards with all the troubleshooting etc that is reqd. - no point doing stuff on kits, not how its done in real life... Unless they are using Texas Inst. like eval boards etc.... And try to get some info on how to use SMDs, SOIC (google if you dont know what it means) chips etc. too (usually used in real life apps.)... and post your experiences etc....

Achha, about starting off with robotics, take a look at this earlier post about robotics books...

cfc
10-31-2004, 12:48 AM
I've put some code and documents about the Hadamard transform on this web-page:
http://homepage.eircom.net/~xe951/net.htm
See what you think?

krishnabhargav
10-31-2004, 09:20 AM
hi daaBrat,
yes you were right and thats wat i had a steamy argument with my trainer.I asked him to explain the interfacing circuits and he replied to go through the text book for which i answered if tats the case then why am i paying the Fee?He just gave us a few ready made kits and taught us how to coonnect to a PC and download the code into the 8051 Kit.It was really disgusting you know,we did better practicals in our engg labs,we had 8085 practicals lab in 2 1. Anyway the theory faculty was good so she was busy!! to attend the labs and send some as****es to handle the labs.Anyway we are planning to make them reconduct those labs this time with proper practicals.One more thing i asked the same question to him tat i cant carry this kit and use it in real world projects na,for that he answered "u will get smaller kits!!smaller motors!!"Dumb ass.anyway that was hardware part hope they do well in the software part atleast.Anyway thats cool syllabus which got uCLinux,RTLinux,WinCE.We are taught just VxWorks and i dont know how they are going ot do that.If at all you havent come acroos the CDAC's Syllabus then have a look at this link :
http://www.cdacindia.com/html/misc/desd/syllabus.htm
Really cool one.We have ACTS center in hyderabad but they take only graduates and the fee is also high-40K.Till now thats the best one i have seen.They offer pplacements too.Anyway thanks for your reply.
Bhargav

vikas
11-01-2004, 12:41 AM
Well i did have a look at CDAC's course :) leaving out ARM programming and some parts of DSP , i have done most of it in my engg ( I had taken embedded systems as optinal ) anyway the course looks pretty good if they do it in practicals too what they have mentioned in theory :) . Also its also pretty good if ur planning to go in for ES as a career you will be required to have exp in ( RTlinux , VxWorks , PSOS etc for starters ) ... Course looks good but who knows what will happen once we start attending :? do they have the proper infrastructure .... any way the ES certificate from CDAC might get you an edge in the interview :)

krishnabhargav
11-02-2004, 09:26 PM
hi vikas,
Yes man the course contents are really good.ACtually 80% of the ES courses anywhere are covered in our Engineering Cirriculum.But the thing is its Bookish-only theory and that too we read it in Exams point of view.There are other subjects too that are useful for ES guys but dont find them in detail in courses like Instrumentation subject about Sensors,Control,PLCs etc.Our cirriculum is really good but the system here we adopt to follow that cirriculum is bad.We never take real life situations into account while learning them.We do have uCs,x86 processors,RTOS but their univ labs ll take us no where.
Anyway coming to the CDAC course,as far as i know their courses are well known in US universities too.A diploma in some computer course from CDAC fetched my brother's classmate-a Textile Engg- assistantship.So they are well known.And Hyderabad center they say is too good.Their pattern is i think 2 hours theory 4 hourse practicals everyday.THey do have a very good placement cell.But we need to clear an entrance test and tat too shuld b a graduate already (b.Tech) or MSc(elec) or MSc(CS).
Bhargav

krishnabhargav
11-02-2004, 11:09 PM
well vikas ,i was just browsing the net for some beginner stuff and al and came across this one,this gotta some good stuff and if you find it useful for others tooo then add it to the links sections
http://www.mcmanis.com/chuck/robotics/index.html
Bhargav[/quote]