PDA

View Full Version : Spy Robot with all-terrain capability...........

csaagar
05-11-2008, 07:32 PM
[b] I m making a spy robot i m done with its electronics n coding stuff...........n all d mechanical assembly too............ I hv provided tank wheeled mobility to my robo car.........BUT the big problem is the Timing Belt which i hv used for my wheels are getting slipped out whenever the motor runs............or the wheel rotates.............wats ur take guys???..........Eagerly waitin 4 an urgent reply.................

-Sagar [b]

[Edited: No need to shout.....-Mod]

debu
05-11-2008, 08:05 PM
@csagar: Timing belt slippage? This is very rare, normally people use timing belts, to avoid slippage. Are the grooves in your spindle the same size as the grooves in your belt?

Post the specifications of your belt and the specifications of your spindle. It may be possible that some of the grooves of your timing belt have worn off.

Regards,

Debu :)

csaagar
05-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Thanx 4 ur reply.......

Actually the timing belt which i m using is of Indica car...........n the wheels which i used are not timing pulleys.........so no question of them gettin matched with d belt.....the belts grooves are the top n n surface touching the wheels is flat........they r bound to slip......... but can i make any provision to not allow the belt to slip?........I used two metal plates of diameter a bit greater than actual wheel but lesser than the belt to avoid those belts from slippage......but that ws all invain n the plates wld cum out due to belt slippage..............

debu
05-12-2008, 02:33 PM
@csaagar: Well, I see your problem, It seems like you need to put in matching grooved spindles to cure your problem. I don't see any way around it.

Regards,

Debu :)

csaagar
05-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Can i get chassis with along with tank treads n wheels as complete robot kit????......Therz one at triindia...........it costs arnd 2500/- but the mobility provided to it seems to lack strength...............

d link is

http://triindia.co.in/shop/product_info.php?products_id=97&osCsid=115e17bafe0bc90ea1d0bc346ea5e8b2

allbits
05-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Anyway, can you post more specs of your bot? like the size, ("spy, right?") and the approx payload, and the need for a belt?

shashak
05-12-2008, 09:34 PM
if i am not wrong you are trying to using timing belt as track wheel belt.

is your wheels are laterally in one line means does the grove of both wheels of one side are in same line??
once i tried the same with spoke wheel there i got same problem, but could resolve till date :P

anyways, if that is not problem in that case try to make friction on groves of wheels

docel
05-13-2008, 01:05 AM
1. You can make an "idler" wheel out of a piece of that Timing belt. Cheap.
This will prevent the belt slipping on the wheel. Just wrap the belt over a convenient cylinder and nail/stick it.
2. Two slightly larger disks must be attached on either side of the wheel, so that you get a 'Pulley". This will prevent the belt from slipping out.
If you spring-load this "Toothed-wheel" from the top, it will drive the Belt easily.

csaagar
05-13-2008, 10:10 AM
@allbits
Actually u cant call it a spying machine but its sort of inspection robot with n all terrain capability.........d size is a bit lesser dan the Packbot/iRobot......hope u gt d idea wat m i trying to make out..........

@shashak
if i am not wrong you are trying to using timing belt as track wheel belt.
yes u r right

@docel
1. is idler a pulley???
2. Lage disks
2. Two slightly larger disks must be attached on either side of the wheel, so that you get a 'Pulley". This will prevent the belt from slipping out.
I tired this out as i mentioned earlier...........but the strength of those disks is nt dat strong enough to avoid slippage........Wat material n tools should i used 4 making those disks???

docel
05-14-2008, 02:13 AM
Any decent material will do.....aluminium, plywood, acrylic, even paint-tin lids (sometimes with the tins, too).....we have used many of these things as and when we 'saw' them !
Just make sure that they are strong enough for the diameter as the belts are quite strong. The diameter may be slightly more than the belt thickness.
Another way is to run the belts in a "channel" that will guide the belts in a true line:

\_____/
_____
/ \

Belts 'run off' due to wrong alignment and angles......