PDA

View Full Version : hi..and help me...please please

funkydude
01-03-2005, 10:30 AM
hey

I have a roughish list..i need microcontrollers, we'll have an onbaord computer ( coll gives a bit of money, so tahts not the biggest problem)..i know i need DC motors, DC batteries, cams for identifying colour (need to do that, which is why we needed an onbaord comp) ..but it scares me a bit. We dont have any professors to help us..and nobodys done this before.

mercury
01-03-2005, 04:43 PM
hi

U can use an MCU with which u are accustomed , to control motors, an MCU comes with all the required hardware of a mini computer.If u r new to controllers then it would be benificial to have some basics cleared and then start developing .I find PIC MCU quite powerful and easy to use for robotic application.U will find plenty of resources on the net relating to PICmicro .

Controlling DC motor is simply simple, just interface some motor driving chips(like L293d..) with MCU and u r ready with your wheeled robot.

In your post u have mentioned about using onboard vision system.this is pretty advanced level and requires thorough knowledge of image processing stuffs.

Start out from basic and then go for some advanced stuff.

The controllers can be programmed in any language like C,asm,basic,pascal..

if u want to do something fast go for basic compilers.

for further information on onboard vision system visit
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~cmucam/

Have fun making robots

funkydude
01-03-2005, 11:13 PM
thanks a lot mercury..actually, i have worked with the vision system before....its not too hard...but please recommend a site for getting my basics cleared up for micro controllers. I really dont know too much about that.
So, can i control DC motors from the MCU itself, if i get a motor driving chip, won't i have to interface that with the micro controller.

Also, from what i heard, its easiest to program the controller's in PBASIC, rt?

thanks a lot

01-03-2005, 11:38 PM
basic architechture of picMCU
http://www.mikroelektronika.co.yu/english/product/books/PICbook/0_Uvod.htm

this site explains the architechture as well as asm programming of pic16f84

also another good site
http://www.winpicprog.co.uk/pic_tutorial.htm

u have to interface the chip with MCU

PBASIC is used to program the basic stamps

if u want to program picMCU in basic i would recommend picBasic from mealbs

mercury
01-03-2005, 11:45 PM
yup..its melabs.com for picbasic compilers

funkydude
01-04-2005, 09:07 AM
Thanks mercury and guest ji..now, i don't even know who to thank...but anywayz, it seems to be a fair bit of help, and if i run into any difficulties, ill ask you guys again

thanks a ton

funkydude
01-05-2005, 10:01 PM
um, can i use the motor driving chip L293d , for controlling any DC motor? I wanted to know that before buying it
Thanks

vikas
01-05-2005, 10:10 PM
Its the perfect choice .. Go ahead and buy it !!!

It is meant for controlling DC motors :)

funkydude
01-05-2005, 10:14 PM
thanks vikas

ice
01-06-2005, 12:44 AM
Hey..
are u guys residing in India? bcoz i looked over ur link and it says the competitions in Canada...kewl!

I still cant figure out the aim of the competiton ...there werent andy competition details on the site..
what exactly have you to do?

If you need to do smaller tasks like detecting an obstacles usin IR or ultrasonics ,then microcontrollers are good.

If ur getting good sponsors and you wish to put a computer on the bot..you can use the mini-itx PC.its likeur normal PC mother board ,17*17cmsquare and can be run on batteries..

-ice

funkydude
01-06-2005, 12:33 PM
hey ice.. let me tell ya, i am a gr8 fan of urs..read the tutorials on ur site..really well written.

.Accha, tell me, if i have Win XP, do i need any .dll files for running the motors from the printer port? How many motors can i run from the printer port? 2?? I want to run like 3-4 DC motors, and 3-4 servos. Should i use a USB hub? How would i go about that, can you please let me know? thanks a ton.

Btw, are u applying to any american univs for further education..i kinda assume u wanna come to US, and i'd love to help u out ..like making calls to ask anyone anything, or something i already know>i know Vikas is giving GRE ( i wud too, in the summer).. the same thing goes for u too..and mercury

funkydude
01-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Um, one more thing, if i want to do it using Linux, can anyone please tell me how would i go about controlling the motors?
Thanks

mercury
01-06-2005, 07:06 PM
serial port programming in linux

commands are bit cryptic...i have been using vb for serial progs,quite easy
have a look at the link for serial prog on linux
http://www.pololu.com/projects/prj0003/

this should clear everything

u can run 4 DC motors from LPT

funkydude
01-07-2005, 07:22 AM
Thanks mercury..ok..so i will program it in windows.I need about 4 DC motors and 4 servos. So, should i get an MCU along with an onboard PC? But then, it would create complications in integrating everything.

mercury
01-07-2005, 03:32 PM
u can control 4 dc using LPT & 4 servo using MCU
absolutely no complications integrating MCU and onboard PC. u can use serial communication btw them

ice
01-08-2005, 06:54 AM
Hey Funkydude..thanks

k..Its pretty easy to interface ur PC's parallel port to ur robot.
But u'll have a big cable running between the PC and ur nachine which cant extend more than 15m

i looked up the pdf u fwd..seems u can either make it autonomous or tele-operate it..
which one are u goin for...
u talkd abt vision systems,so i guess ur going to oprte it remotely

1>you will need a camera
.....a dedicated wireless one..u get these readymade and pretty cheap ovr there

2>a radio link for communicating with your robot..
i think one way communication will suffice,since you have visual feedback

3>a microcontroller on ur robot to decode your serial signals to controls your robot motors,pan tilt motion of ur camera

Thats it..and yea..VB6 is kewl for GUIs as i use tht..just tht it takes hogs resources.

If i need help,i'll surely contact u,thank you.

funkydude
01-08-2005, 10:09 AM
thanks mercury, ice for ur continued help.
ok, ice i have a question, u mentioned male connectors for connecting to the parellel port, which ones do u use? I don't think the standard printers ones would work, and sticking wires in is kind of shaky.

The camera's, the vision system in itself isnt bad. But i am a bit worried abt UC's part

Thanks guys

Rotem
01-20-2005, 09:02 PM
look at this article; it will surely help. it was written for projects just like this.

http://www.ses.co.il/articles.htm

Good luck!

devpriya
06-02-2006, 01:39 AM
Hey even port programming in Linux is a cake walk ......whats the problem there? You just need to get the permission for opening the port and then simply use _inp() and _outp() functions to control the data flow.

Using decoders you can control more devices from the same printer port.