PDA

View Full Version : USB to Serial Port Converters

Bullodu
07-23-2008, 10:08 AM
The Laptops now a days are not equipped with serial ports n our good old programmers need dem seriously... I bought a usb - serial converter cable for 300 n it didn't work.... then googled for some time, the DIY usb - serial adapter usin' FT232R caught my attention... however FT232r is not commercially available, atleast in hyderabad. Good thing's that my prob is solved temporarily by an adaptor i got in da market. It works but ya got to unplug it n reconnect it every time ya burn the chip.... hopin' to find a better solution...

a7400
07-23-2008, 11:40 AM
if u want to burn an ATMega , make your own USB programmer , search for USBASP on the web..

Battery
07-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Problem with the usbasp and other programmers is it doesnt work or work with a big inconvinience with windows vista and now a days laptops comes with vista preloaded. Even some models do not have drivers for xp so that makes a problem. A good choice can be http://robokits.co.in/products/?p=productsMore&iProduct=42&sName=AVR-High-Speed-USB-Programmer

shobhitkukreti
07-25-2008, 01:40 AM
My usb to serial converter worked, it uses the prolific ic, works with vista, got it for 150, try googling for BF-810

samurai_01
07-25-2008, 03:06 PM
http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/
may be it could help
after all you need a programmer... :D

tidum
02-27-2009, 12:09 PM
I have a BF*!) which i got for Rs 140 from Nehru place @DElhi
I used it on VIsta home edition. and it works well.
I have made one ISP programmer for 8051 and and used the BF 810 with it!

emb_sys_dev
03-05-2009, 04:49 PM
There's a Mumbai based company milestone which makes these. Probably they might give better support.
I use a BAFO 810which works pretty ok. But none of these cheapo chinese ones are guaranteed to work."Some" work ok on "some" systems.

crystalautomations
03-05-2009, 06:38 PM
The Laptops now a days are not equipped with serial ports n our good old programmers need dem seriously... I bought a usb - serial converter cable for 300 n it didn't work.... then googled for some time, the DIY usb - serial adapter usin' FT232R caught my attention... however FT232r is not commercially available, atleast in hyderabad. Good thing's that my prob is solved temporarily by an adaptor i got in da market. It works but ya got to unplug it n reconnect it every time ya burn the chip.... hopin' to find a better solution...

FT232r is available at www.crystalautomations.com

Crystal