PDA

View Full Version : motor confusion

Khani
08-16-2008, 12:27 AM
I am seriously confused about using the stepper motors or the dc motors with encoders for the micromouse . can any one tell me which one would be better for the competition. i already used stepper once which was rated 4.5v, 1.2a and i was just able to navigate some twenty odd steps at iit b techfest. then had some stupid hardware proble. now i am deciding to improve this. i used l293 d initially .. so the question is should i use l297 and l298 and improve upon my existing stepper bot or should i use the dc motors with encoders as recommended by some of the people there. please tell me?????

anilmaddala
08-22-2008, 12:38 AM
I guess steppers are more accurate, when it comes to moving calculated amount of distance. So better stick to stepper motor.

vikas
08-22-2008, 03:17 AM
micromouse = steppers :) ... always follow KISS philosphy ... Keep It Simple Stupid

docel
08-24-2008, 08:07 AM
So what happens when the 'Stepper' Robot stalls somewhere......??

Steppers is for Junkies.....was an easy and cheap way out when you had tons of these 12v steppers out of 20 yr old HDDs on the streets.
Now all those convenient motors have disappeared into the landfill. What you find in the market as 12v steppers ( inside colorful expensive Hi-tech packaging) are actually 24v Steppers from junk Printers. I will not get into a debate on this and waste my time.
I have seen hundreds of Engg. Students fooled by this mass fraud by unscrupulous on-line Co's.
I have also seen hundreds ( ya, 100s) of engg. students struggling with unknown steppers and absent torques only to fail miserably even before starting!!

The choice is yours, ofcourse.....but --
:idea: My oft repeated advise: Stop steppers and work with DC motors :!:

If you are into Micromouse then you are certainly into Microcontrollers. Making a simple shaft encoder and integrating into the DC motor system is simple and cheap, besides being reliable. It does not 'hang' when the motor stalls anytime nor will the position / distance count be lost , as will certainly happen with a Stepper, and Crash recovery is simple & effective !!