PDA

View Full Version : control of a robotic arm using neuro fuzzy system.

arunshivanandan
01-08-2005, 02:03 AM
hi all,
this is my first post in this forum.I am doing B.Tech in Mech.Engg in nitc.ac.in.i want to do a project related to robotics.the problem is,i dont have much idea about robotics,i am only starting to learn things.as a bigining,i had made a biped with 4 dc motors and interfaced it thru parallel port.the dc motors were cheap ones,with i myself adding the reduction.there was no feedback at all.
now i want to do a better project.i have some basic knowledge of ANN Fuzzy Systems,so i was thinking about fabricating a robotic arm and doing some control using ANN-Fuzzy.I have 3 stepper motors(1.8 degree resolution)..can someone suggest any good project;like whether to build a (movable)platform and place the arm on it etc etc and what should i control,obstacle avoidance of the arm or the platform etce etc
I have some crude encoders made from those coming with scroll mouses.i added a belt and pulley system, so that it has got pretty good resolution.
i have a budget of abt 6000 rs max.
Thanks in adv,
Arun.[/b]

vikas
01-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Using crude things u wont achive much precision . Also for an arm you will need feedback like the servo motors . For arms SErvos are always recommended .

There are lots of projects with the arm that you could do ... But will have to figure out IKS first .

My advice build a fixed arm . Get the basic movement working and depending on the precision you get decide on a project .

arunshivanandan
01-08-2005, 04:00 PM
hi vikas,
thank you wery much for your advice.
i certainly want to do a better project, but money is a huge constraint!!but not having money cant justify not doing a project and thats why i built all these from scrap.
the 'crude' encoder has got pretty good resolution.the one coming with mouse had 36 holes and i added a 1:10 reduction so i am getting abt 360 ppr.
my doubt is,if i builld a 3D 4dof arm will i be able to do the (neuro-fuzzy) control ; i have seen quite a few articles/papers on this, but most (or all?) of them were just 2D arms.
so whether we should do the moving platform thing with say a 3 dof planar arm and do the control of the movement of the platform instead.
all sorts of advices are welcome.
thanks in adv,
arun.

Zaphod
01-09-2005, 04:50 PM
If it is an arm you are trying, why not try a simple thing like a drafter,
the tool tip would be costly but that would probably be the only costly component.

kaushalkantawala
01-11-2005, 11:20 AM
hi arun...

basically i m just an amateur and i dont hav much of an idea ....i m just an undergrad student
but since u ask i guess if u plan to incorporate NN and fuzzy u are looking for some control system that will be robust and learn frm its data...noisy data

A robotic mechanism that can pick up objects frm one area and place them in another area may be the kind of problem u are looking to solve...

the parameters that u can hav which will help train ur NN may be

1. varying the size and shape of the objects.....so now u ll hav to code to clasp the object accordingly and place it also accordingly....e.g. a smaller object will be realeased at a lesser height frm ground than a bigger one.

2. locating the object more and more accurately by using sensors

3. finding locations to place the objects appropriately

this is wat i can think of as of now.....

pls tell me if it helps ....

arunshivanandan
01-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Zaphal and Kaushal,thanks for replying.
Zaphod,to be sincere,I didnt get what you were trying to convey.Please be kind enough to help me out.Were you trying to tell about building a drafter with motor at joints...
Kaushal,your reply was certainly helpful,

a smaller object will be realeased at a lesser height frm ground than a bigger one.
excellent.Let me have a chat with my team mates.
About identifying the object using sensors,what kind of sensor can be baught within our budget say 5000 bucks?
Again,All kinds of suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
arun.
[ http://arunsdiary.blogspot.com ]