PDA

View Full Version : Robot control on GPRS????

anilmaddala
09-28-2008, 02:22 AM
Hi guys,
Is it possible to control a robot, using GPRS on the phone? I've heard it was done, but using DTMF tone. I'm planning to use a J2ME code. So is it possible over GPRS? is the speed of the network sufficient enough?
Id also like to send live video if possible. Plz help.

shashak
09-28-2008, 12:02 PM
ya technically speaking it is possible you will be needing a GPRS modem and GPRS activated connectionand bit of TCP/IP socket programing ,

n/w speed with GPRS is almost equivalent to basic dialup connection , but you need global ip to be connected which make it messy with popular broadband connection.

debu
09-28-2008, 05:00 PM
@anilmaddala: You can use GPRS to stream video off the phone. (only j2me profile 2.1 would support that, so look for a CDC, and not a CLDC). You will be able to get the video from the phones camera into a class which you will have to extend from the javax.microedition.media.Player class. (Refer to the JSR-135 MMAPI documentation (clickie) (http://java.sun.com/products/mmapi/overview.html) ). However, there are two points that you should consider here:

1) The Video feed that you send would *not* be live. I don't know how good you are as a programmer, but even really good programmers won't be able to extend the abstract methods of the Player class good enough to get a smooth live feed out of your mobile. Don't expect anything more then 3-4fps (on the phone). So if you run a frame compression algorithm on a QCIF (176x144) frame, you might be able to get those 3-4 frames out at the same rate. Remember I'm still not counting the the time it would require to get the packet ready for transmission.

2) Since this whole thing would need to be IP based, whether you use JSR-180 (sip) or APDU to transmit your packet over IP, you will need to make a strong server side application to intercept the packet. What this means is that you will need to provide a valid server address which has a service and application running to service the requests to intercept the packet translate it, and return control to receive more packets in a very short while.

That is pretty much all there is to it. I prepared a MIDP 2.1 applet to pick a frame (only one) from a mobile camera, and transmit it over IMAP4r1 (RFC-3501) to a email id mentioned in the code, at every specified interval. If you PM me, I will send you the files so that you can use them as reference.

Hope this helps,

Debu :)

anilmaddala
09-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Hello debu,
could u tell me how, a servo can be controlled from a cell phone?

anilmaddala
10-14-2008, 03:27 AM
hello debu,
Just saw comvu or live cast. amazing application. You can actually stream live video from your mobile phone to the internet.
Any idea how it can be done?

tpsbpl
11-02-2008, 07:47 PM
could u tell me how, a servo can be controlled from a cell phone?
this link may help in understanding how to control motors (here dc gear motor ) through mobile http://onlinetps.com/raghu/