PDA

View Full Version : Doubt about motors...

ukesh
10-06-2008, 11:12 AM
hi guys....
Im a newbie in robotics....my doubt is that can we use motors that comes in Rc cars, toys & stuff lik that to biuld a bot?
are those motors same as d motors used in robots??

next how do we find out the specifications of d motor lik rated speed, voltage etc of a motor??

and then the bigger the motor greater the power..??

thnx in advance....

anilmaddala
10-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Hello Ukesh,
Welcome to RI. :D

yes you can use the motors from RC cars and toys, but they have 360 degree rotation, and are not quite powerful. You can use them in projects like simple line follower.

When building good hobby robot like, micro mouse or robotic arm etc....
you will have to use motors, which has precession control.

The angle to which the shaft of motor rotates can be controlled, in this case you can go for Servo or stepper motor.
Note: Servos don't have 360 degree rotation, but steppers do.

allbits
10-07-2008, 01:35 PM
What robot do you want to make??

to find the rating, just check the voltage input to the toy/car. Normally the motors will have the voltage rating equal to the voltage you give in.

Some toy cars have good motors, In fact i have seen very good ones with gears in some of the toy cars. However, they were expensive. To get the current rating, I suggest you run the motor at normal load, at the specified voltage and then measure the current using ammeter!!! simple.

Speed is not something you can make out easily. However, as a newbie, motor rpm may not be of high importance. Remember, you should not connect the motor shaft directly to the wheels and drive - you should have a gear set in between. You can use the gears that come with the car.!!

ukesh
10-07-2008, 03:43 PM
hey thanks for ur replies guys.....

Im thinkin of makin a simple robot....kinda lik a remote controlled car which dsnt hav a lotta circuitry...

for makin d car remote controlled it requires circuits rite..??

can u guys guide me in makin d circuits and selectin d motors..??

DIXING
10-08-2008, 12:53 AM
hi utkarsh you can go through this link http://robocrazy.org/forum/index.php?topic=103.0

DIXING
10-08-2008, 12:56 AM
sorry ukesh i wrote your name utkarsh in last post

ukesh
10-08-2008, 08:32 AM
its k....no probs abt misspelling my name...

can u explain d basic circuitry in remote controlling...lik d components to be used....??

DIXING
10-08-2008, 12:41 PM
TO MAKE SIMPLE WIRE CONTROL robot you need 2 DPDT switch , 2/4 motors power source ither transformer (min 2 Amp for good performance) or battery (Rechargeable recommended) , 4 wheels a chasis (homemade also do ) some wire (use 10 core 6 wire will in use) that's it and assemble the circuit as shown in the forum (you have to register to view circuits and attachments )

ukesh
10-08-2008, 03:50 PM
phew tat circuit connection luks tough...!!

Thnx for ur reply DIXING....

And wats an brushless electric motor guys..??