snk_naveen
10-11-2008, 05:33 PM
hey guys
can anyone tell me how to build a simple encoder for distance calculation

maddy_nish
10-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Hi naveen..

Making an encoder is real easy..

Just paint ur wheels white on the inner sides.. divide the wheel into eight parts at equal angles "360/8" now paint blach dots near the circumference at each part.. now these black dots on white will cause the interruotions for an IR sensor pair to take the counts.. Now every eight count will be equal to one rotation of the wheel.. Increse the number of black dots for greater accuracy..
Thats all!!

allbits
10-15-2008, 04:01 PM
can anyone tell me how to build a simple encoder for distance calculation

Are you using wheels??
What kind of distance do you want to measure, and what method are you using / planning to use and where do you plan to place your encoder, and what kind of encoder are you looking at?

snk_naveen
10-15-2008, 05:16 PM
iam trying to build an optical encoder the encoder wil be kept separate from
the wheels. iam thinking of building my own magnetic compass placed on an encoder for finding the direction any ideas??

allbits
10-17-2008, 01:12 PM
use the ones inside your OLD (not the optical one) mouse. You might need a quadrature encoder - but it works well.

The compass need not have any connection with the encoder. But it should be well aligned with the body.

rohitd
12-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Hi,
I have a query related to generating a speed encoder. Can you please specify the sensor number used for sensing the dots.

i was refering following link :
http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/robo/Encoder/pitt_html/encoders.html

it explains the encoder creation using Hamamatsu 5587 photo reflector sensor(cost 3.5$ each). I visited the Hamamatsu web site and came to know that the chip is obsolete.

Can you please specify the chip number and circuit diagram if any.
I want to measure speed of motor max speed is 100Hz

Thanks in advance

Best regards
Rohit