PDA

View Full Version : Rubik's Cube Solving Robot

devpriya
10-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Hi Guys

For past few months I have got numerous mails and calls from lots of people asking more or less a common question " Dev, we are done with line followers, obstacle avoiding robots and even micromouse. So whats next to do?"

Obviously there is a whole lot of problems waiting but the question is "Is it feasible to solve the rest, with our type of infra structure?" We have really come a long way from the time I entered into my engineering (since then I was introduced to Robotics) till today. But the availability of high-end lab and equipments still remains a problem for more complicated projects.

So I came up with a simple project in mind, that is a Rubik's Cube solving Robot. It will involve a little of precision mechanical work, lots of intelligence and elementary image processing. And guys this can be the next problem statement of your college's competition too :)

There are quite a few such robots on youtube, you can check out the videos also to get some idea.

Let me know, how did you find the idea?

PS: For this first of all you need to know, how to solve a Rubik's Cube 8)

debu
10-17-2008, 07:47 PM
@devpriya: An Excellent proposition. I made a rubik's cube solving bot using a mindstorm NXT kit, using bricC (C-Language) and you can find the vids on youtube along with my other bots. It used no image processing, just a X,Y gantry mounted color sensor checking nine spots, and two rotating axes.

A good starting point is:
http://www.rubikssolver.com/

A good challenge would be to implement this on a simpler eight bit controller (AVR, PIC, x51), indigenously, i.e with no support from a PC. I can think of several areas where the engineer would be challenged in the task. :D

Regards,

Debu :)

devpriya
10-17-2008, 11:59 PM
I guess it shouldn't be much of a trouble on a 8-bit controller too, as it doesn't involve much of computation!

In fact, if I break this problems into very small pieces then its like writing the program for a line follower with more number of if....else loops. Try to visualize it, it is simple!