PDA

View Full Version : high strength material for chassis

Chilureddy
10-21-2008, 04:26 PM
I need to build a high strength robot. can anyone suggest a material for the chassis, which should not be cut by chainsaws or cutters.

ankitmutha
10-21-2008, 07:34 PM
plz post intended use for such a strong chasis. The strength will depend on wat use u put it to.

MohitM
10-23-2008, 03:54 PM
plz post intended use for such a strong chasis. The strength will depend on wat use u put it to.
Its quite obvious... If its chainsaws he's afraid of, the robot is an entry for Robowars.

hardikcool
04-25-2009, 09:44 AM
u can go for a robot chasis of aluminium................i guess it will work for you as it worked 4 me!!

firoz
04-26-2009, 07:58 AM
i don't know the exact requirement.
but if it is chassis main frame,then make it using any material then cover it with cold rolled sheet metal.which shld be bent keeping directional strength in mind.this make the assemble cheap and light weight.making the whole thing with sold AL might be costly.
and worst case scenario you can go for case hardening process,with which you can get hardening of 0.2 to 0.4mm thickness.

just_landed
04-27-2009, 03:33 AM
do not use the chain saw if you're worried about the chain saw.
prefer to use MS. It will hold for a while if attacked by a chain saw. Eventually it'll have to go. But that is the best option. You can get angles of MS and use it to make the chassis of the bot.

free_radical
04-27-2009, 01:47 PM
I hope this link helps. Although buying the mentioned materials is out of the budget of many, I still think its a good reference.
http://www.robotbooks.com/robot-materials.htm