PDA

View Full Version : Techkriti 2009

techkritiiitk
11-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains.
If these words of the legendary Eric Hoffer inspire you, then do come over this year to IIT Kanpur to witness Transforming Thoughts in their truest sense as we proudly present to you Techkriti ’09, the annual science and technology festival of IIT Kanpur.
Techkriti ’09 essentially finds its inspiration in the success of Techkriti ’08 which played host to a lot of events, attracting students from every technological branch there is. International programming and hacking competitions and the software corner challenged the computer-addicted while those inclined towards “physical” machinery found solace in Gearloose, Endeavour and Robogames. Circuit design and Ham were other major attractions. These apart, the Bio-business plan contest, Olymbiz, Scimatex and various quizzes kept the scientifically inclined on their toes.
Apart from hosting all these events with greater zest, Techkriti ’09 also brings forth new challenges in science and Technology, challenging you to think of the most convoluted way to perform a simple task in Rube Goldberg, make working models out of utter junk in Junkyard Wars and strike a balance between safety, economy and strength in the Spaghetti Bridge Design Challenge.
With a view of exposing the country’s brightest budding minds to the works of the greatest scientists and technocrats in the world, Techkriti ’09 will proudly play host to the following great minds, among others:
• Professor Martin L.Perl (Nobel Prize in Physics, ’95 for his work on lepton physics)
• Prof Hod Lipson (Associate Professor, Cornell University, currently working on the evolution of robots)
• Prof Peter Naur (Turing Award winner, responsible for the BNF notation in programming and one of the fathers of the ALGOL 60 language)
• Prof Edmund Clarke (FORE systems professor, Carnegie Mellon University)
This, my friends, is only the tip of the iceberg. So come over from 12th to 15th of February ,2009 and exercise your right to be bright.
For a wider glimpse of what Techkriti is all about, do visit our website: www.techkriti.org
Team Techkriti ’09

techkritiiitk
11-02-2008, 11:48 PM
The registration for various events in Techkriti'09 has already started.
To register yourself, click on:
http://www.techkriti.org/#/index/

docel
11-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Does anyone know the meaning of ABSTRACT????

Ok. You guys have got into prestigious Institutions through tough competitive entrance exams; also, you take GRE,TOEFL, IELTS and other even tougher tests for English language to go abroad for MS/PhD etc.,

A simple question to you all:

What is the meaning of ABSTRACT :?:

Since when , in the whole academic or research world have Abstracts come to mean THIS:
:arrow: http://www.techkriti.org/#/competitions-mixedbag-gearloose-wind/[/b]
and THIS: http://www.shaastra.org/downloads/2008/Robotics/PolicyDocument.pdf
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/963/shaastratdpjb8.th.jpg (http://img90.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shaastratdpjb8.jpg)http://img90.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)

-describe mech. & Elec. ! CAD /Schematics? pseudo code/algos? Kinematics/dynamics/calculations??

WHY? What for?

I thought Competitions are meant to encourage participation and provoke participation but what is going on is active brain-picking and idea-stealing by the hosts, in the name a National competition.

Or, why do you need the complete project report, in the name of "Abstract" ?????

I don't know why students go through this process, without the knowledge that the Host is picking their brains na dideas and will be better off by the time you guys reach there. Also that the problem statements will be changed , based on the visiting participants expertise and innovation, as revealed by them in their "ABSTRACTS".

in my opinion, this is UNFAIR practice by the hosts, seeing that the arena, etc., are at the full-time disposal of the hosting college participants.

I think you must NOT compete when you are a host, or don't ask for ALL the details of the visiting participants!!!

I also think that this must be debated actively in the Forums and students/participants must be aware as well as voice their feelings on this. There's no point in you guys sending ME PMs/ email about your dissatisfaction. Instead, put it in public forums so that everyone else knows about this.

vikas
11-04-2008, 12:21 AM
@docel : Ur absolutely right , Im fully against hosts competing.

That will solve a lot of problems , esp partial judges , rule mods , home ground advantage etc etc . Also the home team can take part but not compete [:)] .

docel
11-04-2008, 01:21 AM
Yes Vikas!
I saw the unfairness at Shaastra for 3 yrs. Lots of students have written to me, but they are reluctant to write in public forums. It is very sad to see them being victimised at these so called "Mega Events" run on Lakhs of Sponsored money.
http://www.business-standard.com/india/storypage.php?autono=303410

This happenned at this year's ROBOVEDA09 too...as it happenned last year. They went another mighty step: NO PRIZES at ALL this year!!! The organisers just declared " best designs" to the outsiders and funnelled the Prize money into their ROBOCLub ( they made it public. A lot of students from around India know this). Just because their college teams couldnt win!!!!!
http://festinfo.blogspot.com/2008/07/roboveda-2008-snist.html

And - Shaastra 09 was a shambles!! Lots of teams went away after fights. Some of them were threatened to be disqualified for arguing. The organisation was pathetic. And they had different rules for The IITs and different for Visiting teams!
With all this, NO student participant wants to talk about it!!!
Funny!!!
SO, I've taken it on myself to do it.

allbits
11-08-2008, 10:49 AM
yes, doc!

well..

why does any competition robot need an abstract, anyway?
the definitions are already well defined in the rules !!!

we make a robot according to the abstract rules, and not the other way round.

from the policy document :

preferable. Still Shots of the bots count in
your favor, so teams are encouraged to attach them in the TDP. Similarly in the rare case that
someone wants to show a video this early, (Septe

how does that favour?? even before the competition starts? The preparation phase robot and the final robot may be totally different, in terms of function and technical improvisation.

If its all about screening, why dont they do it there, at the fest?? they can limit the number of bots from a college.

And that too, in IITs !! makes me feel that the IITs are scared of other bots coming in and defeating them, because the IIts are "supposed" to be the best, and they cant take defeat!!

Asking for detailed specs and equations before hand does not justify anything, especially when host teams participating. If the host teams needs to prove that they are good, why dont they come up with a good display of quality robots and exhibit them as non - competition bots?

its the students who come up with their own design, and their own sweat who suffers. I dont think a post here would force a re - think on the sides of the organisers, but at least if the students who are unaware of the situations can raise a voice, that can make a difference.

biscuit
11-08-2008, 07:25 PM
i agree with you all guys

during my college days (just a year back) i had attened various contest and found that the large insituations usually think that these contest as a place of showcasing their skills and their students wining rather than being a platform for knowledge sharing :(

so i eventually quit going to them and instead started attentding contests by companies and they are good

actually i have seen some colleges steal the papers submitted to them and to use them after two years

its bad and such practices must halt

Ralf_10019
07-14-2011, 10:53 PM
And that too, in IITs !! makes me feel that the IITs are scared of other bots coming in and defeating them, because the IIts are "supposed" to be the best, and they cant take defeat!!

From my own experience, IITians are most insecure people. Being in a top college puts them under incredible pressure to "win". But alas my friend, creativity and innovation are not bound to the highest scorer. Edison would be best example.

its the students who come up with their own design, and their own sweat who suffers.

There should be Robo -Exhibitions rather Robo-competitions, where every individual would get a fair chance to display his creativity. The same can also serve as platform for industry to look for "talented" people.

I dont think a post here would force a re - think on the sides of the organisers, but at least if the students who are unaware of the situations can raise a voice, that can make a difference.

Glad to see someone having hope for this country!
After 20+ years of conditioning by the process called India I have come to solidify my faith in great words of a great war general "Strong did what they could, weak suffered what they must" ....

My 2 cents ..