PDA

View Full Version : microcontroller to control 4 brushless simultanously

mba7
11-05-2008, 03:27 PM
hi everybody,

does anyone know if there is a micocontroller that can control 4 brushless motors at the same time,

i need to control 4 brushless and i don't want to use a microcontroller for every motor, it will take a lot of space.

thx

debu
11-05-2008, 08:21 PM
@mba_7: Indeed. Normally, any microcontroller with a timer would suffice, you would need to write some intelligent code. If you need a more specific answer, you would need to provide some more information.
- What kind of driver are you using?
- Is the system closed loop?
- Are you going to use Position Control, Speed Control, or Torque Control?
- Are you driving the motor using some particular BLDC Motor control IC, or are you planning to use transistors/MOSFETs to drive the BLDC motor?

Regards,

Debu :)

mba7
11-05-2008, 09:27 PM
i am going to use a moxon brushless motor with a potentiometer to control position

i want to use also a BLDC motor control IC but i didn't chose already.

if you have any suggestion i'll be pleased

i've already used L293D to control 2 dc motor, and i don't know if they could be used with brushless also ??

debu
11-08-2008, 08:29 AM
@mba7: In that case, I recommend that you use the freescale 34929 IC. I have experience with this particular IC, and its commonly available (it is also found on certain PC motherboards).

As for your original question; if you use the 34929 driver, you can easily control several motors simultaneously with one microcontroller.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Debu :)

docel
11-08-2008, 10:44 AM
It is difficult to design a sensored Brushless DC motor drive. Besides, sensored motors are too expensive for the average hobbyist.
If cost is no problem, then I suggerst that you use readymade Brushless motor drives. Thius will help you concentrate more on other things.
You have not mentioned whether your control must individually control the speeds or if all the 4 motors should be controlled simultaneously, with the same speed setting.

Building individual Motor controls is much easier ( and more efficient) than a single micro controlling several motors, at the same time.

The Freescale 34929 is a sensored motor control. This will prove to be quite a mechanical feat indeed. There are much easier methods of control, without the feedback sensors.