PDA

View Full Version : How to get the steering to work ?

shyam4uall
12-27-2008, 09:35 AM
I want to built a robot with steering action for left/right control.Can anyone help me out,how to proceed with that ?I can't get the idea and the materials required?I will be using dc motors.

docel
12-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Use 2 motors for 2 wheels( Left & Right) and a static free-wheel as the third.
Now the steering is done by switching off one of the relevent side motor.

shyam4uall
12-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Due to some problem I am going with 4 wheel.back 2 for the drive movement and front 2 for steering.But i am getting any idea how to get the left/right movement ?

With 4 wheels there is one more option to get the left/right like one sided motor with rotate in CW and the other side in CCW.But this option is second to me incase the above option fails for me (or I fail to get the above option to work).

anilmaddala
12-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Just look into construction of cheapest remote control car with 4 wheels and has left and right motion.
The DC motor when used for steering does not give precession control over the direction of travel. Using a servo motor for direction control will solve this.

akshay66
01-01-2009, 10:42 PM
For steering:
1)You can use a rc car or look at its working but can't make one like that.

2)Go to small garage make a hole drill at the centre of the shaft acoording to your motors shaft size.Now take a 8-10 RPM motor ant attch it.conttect the wheels and attach your motor to the base also.This is a bit tough but mine works perfect.

Contact me at:

011-27568686(akshay)
akshaygulati66@yahoo.co.in
electrobolt.wetpaint.com

debu
01-02-2009, 11:10 AM
@shyam4uall: I highly recommend that you follow docel advise and stick to a differential drive. There are other ways of doing it, but they would be more complicated, and less efficient. Refer to this page (clickie) (http://www.tpub.com/content/engine/14081/css/14081_65.htm) and wikipedia on steering (clickie) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steering).

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Debu :)

akshay66
01-02-2009, 06:27 PM
I also recommend the same but if he does that the robot will stop and then turn and then forwrd or backward its time consuming and slows the speed.In steering any way mine or anyother is will turn while moving and allows to do some stunts also. :lol: :lol:

just_landed
03-21-2009, 09:37 AM
I have designed several bots using the differential drive and i'm pretty sure that you do not require to stop the vehicle in order to turn. Its only dependant on the driver skills. This is a very reliable drive. Just go for the differential drive setup.