PDA

View Full Version : Serial Port Alternative

soumyaonweb
01-11-2009, 11:26 AM
We were working on serial port controlled robot using matlab. Later we found out that modern laptops do not have serial ports. Can there b any aalternative.

I have heard of USB to serial port converter....
I want to know if we use this converter, will the original serial port commands written in matlab will work?

Also let me know if there are any other alternatives.
Thanks in advance.

debu
01-11-2009, 12:09 PM
@soumyaonweb: Why don't you consider using USB instead of a USB-to-RS232 ? Using USB can be as simple as using an RS232 port, once you know how. This (clickie) (http://debusinnovations.blogspot.com/2008/02/usb-101.html) simple USB-101 tutorial that I wrote should help you out.

Regards,

Debu :)

allbits
01-11-2009, 02:11 PM
I want to know if we use this converter, will the original serial port commands written in matlab will work?

yes, it will. all you have to do is to change the port number. And dont put your computer in power saver mode.

if you are using USB, you cannot use the original code.

avinash_g
01-11-2009, 08:03 PM
I have use USB to serial convertor. But they are not 100% compatible with PC Serial Port. Ex if you use only the RX and TX line then they work fine but if you use other line they wont work. Like they don't work with some serial port based programmers like pony prog.

This should give u some clue.

Or u may try them out they cost arround 400 buks