PDA

View Full Version : RoboticsIndia and Arduino ... thinking ... give input

vikas
05-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Hi all

I had quite some plans when i started Ri , ARP was one of them which never materialized.

Lately Arduino is coming up quite well , it has huge support/following, it is well documented and easy to start with. And it runs C and is based on AVR ( two things i love ) ... major points for me.

So i here at Robotics India was thinking of making Arduino as our new base platform for development. We will release a whole new series of tutorial and projects based on it.

We also plan to sell it here at Ri on minimal profit. Also plans are to design and give away a free online Course capable of taking on the offline commercialized workshops/courses taking place.

Idea is to make Robotics easy to start with , and affordable ( < Rs 500 )

What do you guys think ? All your inputs will be highly appreciated ...

Regards

Vikas

suhasm
05-11-2009, 07:24 AM
That would be superb!!! Especially if you keep the costs low so that everyone can afford it :)

1 input :
It would be better if it was USB based rather than serial based as serial ports are getting extinct these days.

elecrom
05-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Low cost development tools are must for Indian students.

Although Arduino is gr8 ... but one question always bothers me .. why can't we in India design and implement such platform? If completely designed and manufactured here, such platform will be a great cost saver.

Also, what about general computing platform based around ARM. As robotics is going well beyond line followers and obstacle detectors, we must develop in that direction also. I think we (as in Ri community) should start working on our own arm based open source robotics platform. what say ?

avinash_g
05-11-2009, 06:11 PM
I agree with elecrom for the Idea of developing an Indian Platform. I am ready to contribute to such project.

vikas
05-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Indian platform is fine , but it will not work out ... it just sounds nice ... cause ive tried to do this before ;) .

Please remember to design , develop and stress test a platform is not easy. The amount of resources required to be put in requires some serious dedication and when people make no money out of it fades away quite easy.

If someone Indian can come up with a platform competing with where arduino stands, ill promote him :) even more.

ARM cannot be used cause it expensive , plain and simple :). Though anything serious needs ARM.

Using a established platform offers many advantages which takes a lot of time to archive in a new platform.

And for direct USB connection , putting the chip on board for direct connection spikes the cost of platform by minimum Rs 200 -300.

elecrom
05-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Hi,

ARM is not expensive. Following is my estimation :

LPC2138 > Rs 350
LPC2132 > Rs 200
small form factor PCB(10cm x 10cm) = Rs 100

Voltage regs and LEDs and port pins = Rs 100 approx
Crystal = Rs 15
Serial connector = Rs 20
Serial cable = Rs 30
CD = Rs 15
Other passive components = Rs 20

Thus, Manufacturing cost for low volume manufacturing = 200 + 100 +100 + 15 + 20 + 30 + 15 + 20 = Rs 500.

I think thats pretty attractive.

You are right, we might end up spending more time, (and some money) but, I feel this idea is worth exploring. People can start using arduino, and this thing can be developed in parallel. I don't have any problems sharing the expenses through my pocket.

As far as monetary gains are considered, everything will be open source, but those who will be buying the preassembled board itself, they will be paying for it. Some component of profit, which is sufficient for sustaining the whole project, can be included in that cost.

free_radical
05-12-2009, 12:02 AM
I like what what elecrom is suggesting but I think what Vikas is suggesting is more practical. This is just an opinion of mine and I mean no offense.

I am thinking about developing an arm board for myself in the near future. I am willing to commit upto 5k to the arm board development that elecrom is proposing if someone with the expertise is willing to spend some time on it. I would have loved to commit some time as well but I have no experience on arm processors. Anyone doing so can use my “Home Facility” for the same. I think I have all the equipment one might need for the development. After the development, we can get the board reviewed by the senior members of the forum.

If someone is interested you can let me know here.

vikas
05-12-2009, 01:29 AM
Yep to design and think takes time. When we already have a tried and tested platform why not use it. Reinventing the wheel serves no purpose.

Also the target audience and pricing match the hardware capabilities quite well. So it gives a nice bang for the buck.

Handling sales , manufacturing etc will be done by someone professionally involved in the electronics industry.

Robotics India will help in proliferating and promotions. For me this is non profit , but its not for the people who are into manufacturing and development , though i will try to make shore that they dont overcharge.

When i started out there was not much Robotics going on , but now it has become very commercialized ... id like to see some changes happen.

rao
05-13-2009, 05:32 AM
Adruino is nice and sturdy. Even though I see a few people talking about advanced requirement, they belong to the 0.01% minority of Ri.

I believe the majority is beginners and adruino is a simple system where instead of wasting time (I am saying this being and electronics engineer) fabricating a circuit board that may or may not work, they can spend time implementing their (or someone else's) ideas and improving them.

Rao

vikas
05-13-2009, 07:03 PM
That is where Adruino shines, start quickly and easily.

And provides a simple interface to everything.

biscuit
05-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Hi
i agree with vikas ... developing a new system board or platform is not so easy.Well adruino is available with lot of support .. easy for beginners .i have taken the hard way of developing the boards from scratch and trust me its not so easy and frustrating. you will have all the components placed and will never know why the system never worked.Many loose interest in these stages.Seeing results earl make feel more dedicated and they start exploring more

So my opinion is, lets not reinvent the wheel, Adruino is best

purecoder
05-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Hello Friends,

I wonder if anyone has taken MSP430 platform into consideration. In my opinion it might be suitable in price, easy to use, low power, availability factors.

But guys whatever platform you choose, this is really a very good idea. I kind of biased towards Elecrom's view for Indian design and Vikas count me in for the people who never give up. I am willing to contribute in anyway possible for me.

Thanks

Dev

karandex
08-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Gogoboard is controller board from MIT.
Its god inbuilt h-bridge and a language which is very easy to understand specially to children.

godslayer
02-13-2010, 02:43 PM
a simple rule steal the hardware off the development in progress from arduino forums, work on it and poof you have your own indian arduino..