PDA

View Full Version : interfacing motors to laptop using USB

mvharish
05-31-2009, 10:53 PM
Hi,

What is the best way to hook up an H-Bridge which drives motors to a laptop with no serial or parallel port?
Can it be done using USB and matlab? If so, how? I haven't found anything solid online. There are some motor driver boards available (esp. phidgets) which are USB controlled, but can these be accessed by a matlab program?
Any other way?

Thanks.

vikas
06-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Hi

look into this !!!

CDC - IO
http://www.recursion.jp/avrcdc/

mvharish
06-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks for replying, Vikas. But instead of a USB-RS232 converter, I'm more interested in a direct USB link-up.

I was reading up a bit on visa-usb in matlab, and here's what I found out:

1. 'Instruments' with USB interface can be easily accessed by matlab.
2. However, to create such an object, I need to know the Manufacturer ID no., model ID etc.

What I need to know is this:

1. Do motor controllers count as 'instruments'? I'm guessing they do.
2. For the few USB motor controllers datasheets I looked at the Manufacturer ID no. etc do not seem to be available.

However, it seems to be relatively easy to access these motor controllers using a C++ program, esp. using Visual Studio.

A search of the Matlab forums hasn't revealed much. I think I'll put up a post there too..

vikas
06-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Im not talking of serial one im talking of CDC IO , bascially USB to GPIO.

Anyhow Direct linkup is not possible , unless u driving a fan from 5v from the USB.

1. You need a controller in between motors and USB , There are many availible Servo controllers which give usb interface. Though i dont know of any USB to DC controller ( aka USB to H-Bridge ).
2. You need a driver.

I dont know where you getting this information from :) . You need a interface circuit which is what i had linked you too.

But yes parallel port and motors work easily :) ... some relays and transistors required.

mvharish
06-04-2009, 08:46 PM
ok, apparently generic USB access is NOT possible with the current version of matlab...
Here's a link to a query(and he reply) I put up on the Matlab forum:
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/252715#654236