PDA

View Full Version : PC controlled surveillance car

agpraneet
07-02-2009, 06:09 PM
I wish to build a surveillance car interfaced with a computer
So I need a wireless camera that can directly connect to my notebook, a usb interface board to which i can attach the transmitter and receiver of a r/c car.

I think a rc car can easily be arranged but arranging a usb interface board and a wireless camera seems difficult. Can somebody help?

I must specify that I dont know much about electronics and it is out of sheer curiosity and interest am i making this thing

Also I am looking for a good robotics kit for beginners

karthikprasad
07-02-2009, 08:23 PM
U can use an rc car And u can use ur parallel port theres no need for a usb interface

and if u have a mobile phone with bluetooth and a cam,u can use that for surveillance

will let u know more about it if ur interested

avinash_g
07-03-2009, 10:52 AM
U can use an rc car And u can use ur parallel port theres no need for a usb interface

and if u have a mobile phone with bluetooth and a cam,u can use that for surveillance

will let u know more about it if ur interested

Did u say "Parallel Port" I don't know what it is !!! (And any guy who has a latest PC/ Notebook). Only PORTs I know is USB and Firewire.

And range of Bluetooth 2.0 is not more that 10 meters (for class 2). A human can see far more than that whithout a mobile camera + bluetooth + a notebook (on Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR @ 3Mbits/Sec). So u can't tell it "surveillance"

@agpraneet

you can go for a WLAN based surveillance camera. (costly option)

or

see this

http://www.vegarobokit.com/product_descriptions.aspx?product_id=116&sub_category_name=Wire%20Less%20Camera&category_id=46

you can use it with TV direcly or GET a TV tuner for Notebook

agpraneet
07-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Thank you for the replies

karthikprasad

As Avinash pointed out, notebooks do not generally have a parallel port and mine has only usb. firewire and serial ports
So, that option is eliminated

Plus I tried to find a solution using a mobile phone on the web but i did not find any. If you have any inputs, please do tell me.

Avinash
I tried to find wireless ip cams but as you pointed out, they are too costly. I cant spend $100 or so on the camera. So, that is also not possible.

As per your suggestion of the camera, you might remember my previous problem whose solution i could not find. After its failure have i only thought of this idea. Plus if i conect a avr card or a tv tuner, it would add to the cost and make my life more difficult as it would require its own drivers and stuff and hence it will make interfacing more difficult.

karthikprasad
07-03-2009, 08:42 PM
I did the same thing dude

=>The parallel port was interfaced via optocouplers to the four switches of
the rc car
=>I wrote a program in j2me to transmit images from the phone to the dongle
=> A java program back at the pc end used the virtual com port of the BT dongle to capture the bytes sent and pack em back into a bufferedImage.Well the rest like they say is history
=> U can do it the easy but slightly not newbie-friendly way of interfacing an mcu with the serial port of ur notebook and connect the mcu in turn using optocouplers to the switches of the rc car
=> Range(OF THE CAM) was pretty good,if u wanna increase range then simply use sockets
ie aka internet

rao
07-04-2009, 03:11 AM
Instead of getting a tv tuner, go for those cheap chinese USB tv adapters (really portable and work good)

http://www.amazon.com/EasyCap-Capture-Adapter-Editor-Software/dp/B001BWU8US

and then use the device as a webcam... and you have the whole thing..

Overall, thisis going to be costly option.

Rao

avinash_g
07-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Instead of getting a tv tuner, go for those cheap chinese USB tv adapters (really portable and work good)

http://www.amazon.com/EasyCap-Capture-Adapter-Editor-Software/dp/B001BWU8US

and then use the device as a webcam... and you have the whole thing..

Overall, thisis going to be costly option.

Rao

That was great !!!

agpraneet
07-05-2009, 08:01 PM
So I think I have two options till now.

A) Using mobile phone as a video camera and a transmitter using bluetooth for which i have a motorola v3 phone with java capabilities which is out of use but not out of order

B) Using a wireless camera then interfacing with laptop using the device provided by someone.

The limitations:
A) short range and low bandwidth
B) too complex, involves too many devices

Any other route is or inputs on the above mentioned are welcome

vigyan
07-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi,
I have done a similar project.
Wireless Camera sent vision to its receiver
It is connected to the usb tuner card and is connected to the laptop
A program in dotnet display this video and sent movement commands to the car via usb port (using usb serial adapter) according to the user.
RF module is used to transmit commands from computer to the car

Regards...

agpraneet
07-07-2009, 03:05 PM
vigyan
Can you share with me how you made it

agpraneet
07-08-2009, 09:59 PM
forget about the camera
Can anybody please tell me from where i can buy a usb interface board with which i can attah the rc transmitter in order to control the car from my pc

I would prefer buying it physically in nr but online route is not eliminated