PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Microcrocontrollers availbile ?

vikas
07-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Hi

For one of my projects i need high performance , SO i am curious if anyone knows of any high performance micro controllers.

2 SPI and a 2 UARTS are a must as IO.

The faster the better , money is not an Issue.

I was looking at ARM 9/Cortex Core modules

For ex -
http://www.gumstix.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=211
http://www.developmentboard.net/index.php/productdetail/core+boards/ARM9/SAMSUNG/S3C2440/CSKY2440-v2/info/1

Ideas are welcome ...

pkshima
07-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Sorry for not being much help and I bet you must be knowing it already but still ...

I guess the choice depends on what application you have in mind and which language you will write it in. For eg. PIC 16 is a bad choice for C.
Then the instruction set also makes some micros more suitable for some apps.

vikas
07-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Application require executing crypto stuff , say doing AES for ex.

Number crunching basically ...

pkshima
07-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Hmmm ... symmetric crypto algos like AES fortunately are simple and to speed things up, you only need to ensure fast access to memory. No need for high CPU power.

Asymmetric algos like RSA, DSA on the other hand require a hell strong ALU since there are multi word numbers being multiplied/divided a word at a time.

Most companies these days go for a CPU that has a crypto engine built in. i.e. all crypto algos execute in hardware. Saves the CPU for other stuff or to just sleep. Saves a lot of battery on cell phones for example. With security being almost every devices requirement, finding a ARM core CPU with a crypto module shouldnt be hard. A Texas Instrument i.e. TI OMAP probably would be good enough for you ?
Whats even better is that you might be able to choose which algos you want in HW and which ones you would code in SW. Do ask if drivers/sw is availble with it. You might end up using code written by me ;-)

Cheers !!

debu
07-31-2009, 11:03 AM
I was looking at ARM 9/Cortex Core modules

@vikas: Any reason why the ARM7TDMi doesn't suffice? You could go for the LPC21x8 series, you can pick up a LPC2138 from Mehta's in LRM for 450. 512KB flash, 72 MIPS (with a 12MHz crystal and internal PLL), 32KB RAM, Plenty if I/O's and peripherals. You could set up very cheap, using just WinARM, there is no programmer required, the LPC21xx's use the serial port for ISP programming. Only thing is that all your encrypt/decrypt functions will have to be in software.

Regards,

Debu :)

vikas
07-31-2009, 02:25 PM
Yes we have looked at crypto core processors with ASIC RSA And AES implementations. But our is a custom thing so ASIC is not an option. So we looking out for performance.

@debu - Our PoC system is based on LPC2138 , but through puts are Abysmal and we need performance. As Arm9 is pin compatible with LPC2000 once the PoC get approved we are looking for and upgrade.