PDA

View Full Version : picking up mechanism

sinhasharad
02-05-2005, 11:26 AM
hi,
i have to build a robot to pickup matchboxes in any possible orientation.somebody told me to pick it up using the brakes of the cycles.i wanted to know whether it would be ok or not.plz reply me soon.
sharad

technojunk
02-06-2005, 06:00 PM
hi sharad

the one used in cycle brakes is sort of complex stuff when it comes to pick up light things like match boxes.

remember here u have to do the job with help of a motor.
u may go for mechanisms which are simple to construct and are just sufficient to do the job( for competitions) . Use innovations to make things simpler and faster.

cheers

praveen

sinhasharad
02-08-2005, 07:12 PM
hi,
thanks for ur advice.but plz tell me what mechanism should i use to do this job as i am not able to think any innovative mechanism.
sharad

mandar
02-13-2005, 10:32 PM
how abt this..

take a real slow motor... attach two gears two it... ( u know side-by -side)

to those two gears u attach two plates.. so when u rotate the motor one way, the plates come closer and down at same time.. and then get lifted up.. so, if ur accurate enuf, u can lift the matchstick between the two plates..

hope what i've written makes sense..

mandar

sharad rai
09-17-2005, 07:11 PM
dear sharad,
you can make a picking mechanism out of 12V dc motors,some spokes of cycle, 3-inch screw -nut combination ,small metal plate, it is rather difficult to demonstrate without diagram, but anyway let's try......
(1). take a square metal plate of size 2-inches,
make a drill of 1/2 cm at the centre of plate ,this hole fits the motor inverted whose shaft is on other side.
(2).make four equidistant small holes near the four corners of square plate,the hole must fit the spokes.
(3).mount the motor on the plate (inverted), fix it with screws,next, fix the four spokes in the corner holes of plate, it will appear like a four leged table , cut the spokes of your desired size of your arm,
(4)take the long screwand connect it to the shaft of motor mounted inverted on the plate.
(5)take another metal plate of same shape & size make similar holes at the corners and centre of same sizeas of prev. metal plate.
(6)fix the nut in the centre of the 2nd metal plate with m-seal inthe same plane as of the plate .
(6)now pass the four spokes of arm through four holes at the corner of 2nd metal plate ,sothat nut can be tightened intothe screw, now, just by changing the polarity of motor your nut will move back and froth, hence the metal plate will also slide up n down over the spokes, now by tilting 4-spokes slightlyin outer way,it will work like a grip,which gets closed for some polarity and open for opposite, it will look like a jaw,
try it.........o.k. bye!!

docel
09-20-2005, 01:05 AM
HI FOLKS!!
Best way to pick up oblong objects is with a flexible pick up.
what you need is a couple of 'tuning fork' manipulator with rubber bands at the tip, even cloth between the two prongs of the manipulator. This works excellently as it conforms to the odd shape of the object. several rubber bands at 3 mm spacing in the vertical will grip the object with VERY LITTLE FORCE!!!
We have picked up EGGS!!!
( HOW DO I UPLOAD PICS??)

rao
09-20-2005, 12:01 PM
You cannot upload pics on our domain..

what you can do is load it on some free hosting server.. geocities or something.. and use the IMG tag to include that pic in your post..

Rao