PDA

View Full Version : Advanced microcontroller project help !

Nisha_D
09-18-2009, 02:12 AM
hi,
I am trying to do projects with AVR that involve using an LCD display. I googled it a lot but I am not getting it properly. There are several projects that can be copied but understanding them mostly is what I find difficult. The difficulty that I am facing is with the programming language. I know C (basics) but that was sufficient to do the LFR, blinky, wall avoiding robot and other basic examples. When I googled about using an LCD, I couldnt understand the code for most of them as most of it seemed alien. I guess I need to learn C language to advanced level (if that is used for the LCD ?). Can someone guide me in right direction like a website explaining such codes or a book (preferably!). The books available for C language like "Let us C" or "programming in C by Balagurusami" dont seem to help much as they provide learning C for building applications that lie on software side and not in dealing with hardware ! Thus I need serious help in solving this out. I am even ready to learn a totally different language for programming that deals with hardware, if that is demanded. I am ready to work .. please help me out !

Regards ..

Nisha

PS: I have used AVR for earlier projects and I have got Atmega8, Atmega16 and Atmega 32 microcontrollers to work with.

Thanks again !

vikas
09-18-2009, 03:57 AM
LCD interfacing is not advanced :) .

If you are finding C hard look into ARduino its easy and fun for starters esp.

Else just go step by step from reading datasheet to implementing protocols.

avinash_g
09-18-2009, 06:37 AM
Hello Nisha,

LCD Interfacing is NOT at all complicated. You can use my LCD library for quick start and also to gain some confidence. You can find them here

http://extremeelectronics.co.in/avr-tutorials/using-lcd-module-with-avrs/

After that you can go and explore the source code of library. I have kept things clean so you wont find it difficult.

Also I highly recommend this article if you wanna understand C code for AVR or any micro.

http://extremeelectronics.co.in/avr-tutorials/programming-in-c-tips-for-embedded-development/

[/b]Tell me if it helped ?

ice
09-19-2009, 06:14 AM
Avinash,
You got some nice tutorials on your site.

avinash_g
09-19-2009, 06:18 AM
@ICE

Thanks, Just wanted to help the community and to help beginners get most info free of cost.

Nisha_D
09-30-2009, 12:38 AM
Well, thanks everybody because that helped.

Still I think there is a lot on the programming side that I do not know. I come across the code that I don't understand at all. And what I have finally concluded is that its time to get back to basics. can anyone suggest me some proper book that can teach me C for micro controllers from the very basic itself .. ( Including #define .. commands and alike.)

Seriously I need help ..

Please ........

MohitM
09-30-2009, 02:20 PM
These should get you going...
www.epemag.com/lcd1.pdf
www.epemag.com/lcd2.pdf

asimov_18
10-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Hi ,
Links posted by Mohit are really good go thru them to understand the LCD module basics.

Most of the C compilers have library to program the LCD modules.(example by Avnish).

Asimov

AVnetics
01-11-2010, 11:15 PM
LCD module is a easy to program unit , it has all the display inbuilt and done by the chip on the module .

Arduino boards are easy to program (it is a particular board with Atmegachip and a bootloader) several shops in india sell these

, they have a bootloader and the language is like
child play . you can have lines like DisplayLCD " This is a test" and it will display ....

so simple that all people can program
eg u wanna light a led at pin 3..

led1 =pin3

led1 on