PDA

View Full Version : missile shield as B.tech. project

Dexter007
09-22-2009, 01:04 AM
I want to build a missile shield (model) as my B.E project. It is not for targeting a real missile but it will show a demo. what i am trying to do is to blast a BIG baloon by a laser.I want to use a radar to find the distance and cordinates of the baloon once it is in air then the TARGETING system will try to hit those coordinates.(baloon).
Now my problem here is after a lot of googleing i could not find a radar for my purpose.then i thougth of using passive radar system but building a passive radar is a big project in itself.

Now help me by telling
1. if i could get a sponsership from any where.
2. is there a radar for my purpose available readymade.
3. can i use some thing other then the radar to find baloons coordinates.
4. where can i find a economical good high power laser of power > 1000mW.

baloon is about 20-100m away from targeting system.(depends on me finding a good coordinate finding system).
baloon size =750cm diameter.

comments from VIKAS are mandatory (as u have a lot of experience and site admin.).
and vikas can you please send me a little details of your chess playing robot to my e mail id(anoop218 at Gmail dot com) as if this project is not feasible then i will do chess playing robot.

a7400
09-22-2009, 10:20 AM
balloon size - 20-100 METERS?

anilmaddala
09-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Why not use simple web-cam to separate moving objects from static background and use servo motors for aiming purpose.

Even if you don't pop the balloons, u can just show locking onto the target by pointing the laser beam at the balloons center. You can just tell on using a high power laser we can destroy the target. Not much financing is required for this.

PS: If things go wrong you could end up burning someone with the laser, so i would not prefer this.

Dexter007
09-22-2009, 05:31 PM
:oops:

:oops:

pkshima
09-22-2009, 05:53 PM
very interesting yet feasible project !!!

But you will need to think which part in the system will be the core of the project. i.e. the part where your intelligence will show the most. I guess the software ?

If so, you might take some exceptions elsewhere. For eg. u can put a IR or ultrasonic beacon on the balloon to make it simple to detect ?

shobhitkukreti
09-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Laser as direct energy weapon, well thought off just don't harm anyone Good luck Dexter.

docel
09-25-2009, 01:28 PM
1W Laser???????? 8O

...dont fool around with THAT kind of laser, even if you did manage to get it :!: :!:

the simplest thing is a suggested by the above posts: use a simple red Laser pointer, calculate the coordinates by WebCam image processing in MATLAB.
The best Engineering would be an Induction coil-gun with a projectile with XY trajectory control. The gun can zero in with the WEBCAM, the Program can calculate the trajectory , elevation coordinates with the laser spot and shoot the balloon in realtime.

:!: 1W Lasers are lethal devices, even with ALL the precautions/care. it is always somebody else who get hurt :!:

Dexter007
09-26-2009, 01:38 PM
docel : i want laser because projectile is a one shot wepon it can miss the target. but laser can be shot as many times as u want.
and image processing (to lock balloon co-ordinates) part was neglected as i want it to also work in night time.

vikas
09-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Well my friend -

1 W laser will be expensive and at your ranges i dought itll burn that fast unless the target holds still. Also the PoC can be shown by tracking a target with a ordinary laser pointer , though not really exciting ;) .

Ill recommend you build something like an automated sentry gun or something.

Use Airsoft C02 powered automatic guns , Some high torque servos to move it around and Image processing to do all the image recognition and target acquisition. As for night time get IR CAM/PIR CAM.

Look into this -
http://robotairsoft.com/turret_1/hardware/assembly/assembly.php

Youtube for defcon bots