PDA

View Full Version : How does a Newbie Choose a controller

charanya
02-10-2005, 12:23 PM
Hi,
My final year project is to demonstrate Fuzzy Logic Controllers. I have chosen to build an autonomous robot using FLC on the advice of a friend and my staff guide but I am stumped here. I have no experience in Building robots although I am well versed with C,C++, VB and have a moderate knowledge of electronics (theoritical though and havent built much). I have a good robot platform donated by a friend which uses differential steering and is driven by a L298 Driver. I will most probably be using ultrasonic proximity sensors. I however need advice on microcontrollers. I am a complete newbie in embedded systems and need advice on a good microcontroller that I can learn to use and implement my program in 1 month time. My college has programmer kits and resources for 8051 series, and the PIC 16FXX series I think.
The program is a bit bulky so I think I might need atleast 6KB memory.
I also need to know how I can modify my C program for the Microcontroller suggested.
Please Reply Soon.
Thanks and Bye,
Charanya

Vishy
02-11-2005, 05:14 AM
Hi dude.

Both the pic and the 8051 are easy to learn.....they are available in different model numbers with different specifications....the core tech is the same although for a particular type(all 8051;s use the same code for programming)..... what u should go in for depends on ur requirements like how much memory u need .... presence of adc and other features for ur project. also important in the cost and the availabilty of the chip....

both these uc's can be programmed easily.....i wonder why the programmer in ur lab is bulky...look around and u will find tuts on making programmers.....they arent very expensive to make,

eg check out the atmel avr at http://www.avr-asm-tutorial.net/

here u will find tutorials on how to code, setup the programmer, interface with other devices etc...

enjoy!!!

yogi
02-11-2005, 06:03 AM
if u want to use C

then use SDCC C compiler, it work with both PIC and 8051

get it from

http://sdcc.sourceforge.net