PDA

View Full Version : Line follower robot

dushyant88
01-07-2010, 04:37 AM
Hi

I am new to the world of robotics and i plan to make a line follower robot for a tech fest in my college.
I have two basic designs:
-two driving motors(left and right), have a line of sensor and using a microcontroller determine the speed of each motor to go left right or straight
-have a driving motor and direction control using a servo controlled by a microcontroller

for the above design i would need the following stuff
1. circuit boards
2. IR detectors
3. DC geared motors or stepper motor
4. Servo
5. Microcontroller
7. ADC
6. electronic components(Resistors, capacitors, etc.)

Now i have the following queries

1. Which design will be the best? by best i mean easier to design and can manouver the track well
2. Which microcontroller will be best suited for my needs?
3. Where to get the components from? (I prefer a local shop in delhi, online will be cool if the delivery is within 5 days)

Thanks
Dushyant

akb1980
01-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Try RoboKits (www.robokits.co.in) - its based in Ahmedabad and they can courier everything to you - Also you can pay by card or online bank transfer. There are many line follower designs available on the net - just take the one whichever you find most comfortable working with!

pratheek
01-09-2010, 07:02 PM
If you are building a line following robot for the first time(like I think you are) then I would suggest you to build a simple microcontrollerless line following robot. You will just need a few electronic components and it will be easier to build and understand. Search the forum or google for more information.

allbits
01-10-2010, 02:43 AM
Just make a simple light controlled switch. make one which Works good.

Really.
Nothing can be a better start.

robosoftsystems
01-14-2011, 01:36 PM
As suggested by allbits in one of his post reply's,

You need microcontrollers for line followers if you need to navigate lines with acute as well as obtuse angles, or in cases where lines overlap. There is no need for an encoder if the rules do not require you to memorise the line and go for a 'fast run'.
you will need software algorithms, lookup for them on the net.
A few tips -
1) To minimise hardware error. - Check this - run your robot straight for 2 meters. Without any controller or control. See how much deviation the robot has after 2 meters. Minimise that error as much as possible.
2) Cover up the sensor arrangement.
3) Place the sensor array close to the driving wheel. Not too close, not too far either. The optimum distance pretty much depends on the speed at which you are driving the motors.
4) Use a spiral line to test your bot. You can see the variation in the error adjustment as the radius decreases.
5) Place the load ( batteries/boards etc) symmentrical with respect to (left-right)sides. Place batteries/heavy components on top of driving wheel(s) to improve friction.

A DYK Kit is good for starters, u can start using them quickly and then reason/improvise on the provided design after gaining sufficient knowledge on it.
Try and keep the the design as simple and compact as possible to achieve accuracy & reliability.

:)

Rohan Soni,
(Robosoft Systems)