View Full Version : complete newbie

vishalkureel
01-25-2010, 12:16 AM
:),,hi i m just new to robotics,,
n i want to live it through the basics,,:cool:
can u tell me where to start from,,like books,softwares extra,,,:o

Mayukh
01-25-2010, 05:20 PM
I started by building the $50 robot (www.societyofrobots.co) with moderate success. Its a great design and formed the platform for later robotics projects which met all the objectives I desired. I dont own any books as yet. The internet is a great resource with a lot of information on Atmel atmega range of microcontrollers. But you do need to know C to start programming.

Just go ahead and build the $50 robot and you'll keep learning along the way.

Regards,
Mayukh.

pratheek
01-26-2010, 09:29 AM
I would suggest you to start with building from a robot kit and learn the basics. Later you can go on building your own robots.
You will find good resources in RI. Try google also.

vishalkureel
01-27-2010, 06:06 PM
will joining a work shop.:eek:.like organised by nsit/dce/ipu coleege will help..???:confused:

akshay66
01-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Don't just straight away jump into robotics...its a mixture of electronics,mechanics,programming & others.You must have a experience of electronics & programming before coming to robotics.A fair idea of mechanics will do.

Mayukh
01-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Don't just straight away jump into robotics....

I partially disagree with you Akshay. Real robotics is indeed a super specialization after a basic engineering degree, preferably mechanical? But what sort of robot would an average hobbist like to build? Definately not a lunar probe. In my opinion, the only requirement is to know C and some basic knowledge of general science to get a pretty neat hobby robot going. There is only one way to build your first robot - just start building it!! All the knowledge shall come in due course. Attending a workshop maybe good, but not an absolute necessity.

However, I would also like to add that the first robot is rarely a huge success. It would be great if one can just get it moving... especially when using motordirvers, PWM, etc. Keeping it absolutely simple and to the bare minimum would help.

Regards,
Mayukh.

vishalkureel
01-28-2010, 10:33 AM
...its a mixture of electronics,mechanics,programming & others.You must have a experience of electronics & programming before coming to robotics.A fair idea of mechanics will do.
i m ece student,n done done c programming (may be not to the peak).still,i hv d basics...:rolleyes: