PDA

View Full Version : Reusing color LCD from Samsung mobile model SGH-X620

sushmair
02-14-2010, 05:44 PM
I have this LCD screen - its still connected to the cellphone motherboard through its ribbon cable. It has 30 pins. I have its pinout and schematic. The problem is how do I desolder / remove the LCD from its current connection? It is entirely an SMD assembly and looks very tricky. Is what I am trying to do even possible?

Rgds,
sushmair.

MGear
02-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Sounds exciting to me... Makes me remember those hack n solder days.

Nyways... Do you mind posting a Snap of that connection. That way we'll be able to give you exact steps.

shobhitkukreti
02-14-2010, 06:01 PM
I did something similar with a SE T230 colour LCD, i removed the cable from the phone,and then had to do some fine soldering on the ribbon, it worked quite well.

sushmair
02-14-2010, 07:40 PM
@MGear - have attached the pics.

@shobhit - thanks! that is encouraging.

Rgds,
sushmair.

akshay66
02-14-2010, 09:06 PM
De soldering is not the problem it can easily be de-soldered(If are bad at de soldering got to mobile phone repair shop & ask the guy to de-solder it.)
Soldering it again on a different PCB is a problem.What you can do is don't de-solder it & get 30 thin wires soldered on the same PCB by expert such as the mobile phone guy.

Regards Akshay,

rao
02-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Use a sharp tipped soldering iron, let it heat up well before using. Be very careful about the contact time with the ribbon and keep giving breaks so as to not heat up the ribbon too much, I dont think it will be that big a problem.

MGear
02-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Sushmair You have got your answers now,

A friend of mine suggested using the hot air desoldering gun to the remove the lcd.
I would like to know that how would you use the LCD after removing it. Because some time ago I hacked the Calculator LCD screen n was not able to reuse it in my Circuit.
Any Ideas??

sushmair
02-15-2010, 08:26 PM
@MGear, I plan to use it in a soft toy for showing simple colors and shapes and marry that with a webcam based image recognition system that I built using an open library. However, I haven't really gotten around to figure out how to interface this particular LCD...

shobhitkukreti
02-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Go through it's datasheet, it should have plenty of info on how to interface it with your uC

docel
02-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Dump solder-flux on the solder joints before desoldering.
Use a thread to pull the flex pcb away as you desolder. The thread must run BETWEEN the flex pcb & the main board, under tension, as you heat the joint.

pkshima
03-05-2010, 01:02 AM
I say just cut the pcb.
Its not going to be any use without the LCD anyways.

sushmair
03-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Thanks all for the suggestions. These are really helpful. I dont really trust my desoldering/soldering skills to an extent where I would want to start playing with SMD's. I think I'll probably ask a mobile repair shop to solder thin wires over each joint and then get the pcb cut.

Rgds,
Sushmair.

endlasuresh
04-03-2010, 09:30 PM
what you do this lcd? do you use for another cellphone or for robot.I have thrown all of my electronic components but still i was always thinking to make something in my life.I see a lot of technology parts lying on the road
Its hard to remove from pcb i have tried a long back to remove leds that are used to display numbers and i failed thrown the circuit.

Regards
Suresh

shobhitkukreti
04-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Suresh it's a low cost graphic lcd which hobbyist can use in their projects.

allbits
04-04-2010, 10:26 AM
You will need a good graphics library to interface it. Believe me, its not easy. If you dont have the library already, I think you will be spending a lot of time for this before you get this thing work.

shobhitkukreti
04-04-2010, 12:20 PM
That is correct allbits, and that is the fun part