PDA

View Full Version : DC push type solenoids

pratikag
02-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Hi I am making a robot in which I am supposed to kick a ball. I need a DC push type solenoid capable enough to push (kick) a 50 gm golf ball over a distance of 6m. Any idea if I can get it somewhere in India.

akshay66
02-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Maybe you could get its somewhere but try & make it yourself.Its easy.

Ulhas
02-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Making solenoid is easy but no where i found the formulla or calculation for geting the magnitude of exerted force.
Each link gives you series of formullaes but not it's application or example. If you still want to do it then do it and experimentlycheck it out that force exerted is ok for you
Another problem with solenoid is that it drain too much current which may be critical and drain battery

If possible use linkages and build your mechanism around DC low rpm motor if low ball velocity is expected or hi rpm dc motor with mechanical advantage to push it hard for getting max ball velocity

akshay66
02-20-2010, 08:48 AM
Ulhas is correct,

It drains alot of current & you will have to check experimentally the force exerted.

rao
02-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Why dont you just compress a string using a motor and let it go when you need a kick instead?? I dont think you are making a robot with the precision of thierry henry or c. ronaldo .

pratikag
02-20-2010, 11:44 PM
@ullas
I know the mechanism behind solenoids but no idea how to make them.. Could you help me out

docel
02-21-2010, 05:00 PM
:eek: 50gms to 6mts with a solenoid ???!!!!!:eek:

Just use a motor , a L shaft and a rubber band.....

robu_com
02-22-2010, 10:04 AM
6 m... its not that difficult... proper solenoids are good enough.. only that golf ball is not smooth..... think 4 it.. make itt... get help .. dont buy readymade...

robu_com
02-22-2010, 10:05 AM
but what xactly u need it for .. event or project.. give details..

robu_com
02-22-2010, 10:06 AM
but what exactly do u need it 4..... ev

docel
02-22-2010, 12:27 PM
but what exactly do u need it 4..... ev

!. It'll be nice if you can please read the OPs posts carefully ( meaning several times) before you post a reply.
2. If you know how to make a solenoid, please tell the OP, in detail , how to make it. It will help us too, since we have failed to make/ use a solenoid for this job several times in our life.
3. It will be even more nice if you can combine all your posts into 1 single post, instead of posting 0.5 line replies several times.

Ulhas
02-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Before going to solenoid ,check it up how much impact you need. Applied mechanics book may help you.
Pushing a 50g ball upto a 6 meter ! much difficult.

if you still wanna to do it. purchase cheaper Ting-Tong door bell, Replace a coil with bigger dia and try it out.

Stiil i suggest use DC motor , and spring as enegy storer and release it with proper guide. Imagine a bullet going out of gun by spring.
Make and keep it simple, and increase the reliability

You need this book for electromagnetic devises info including solenoid

"Electromagnetic Devices" by Herbert C. Roters

&

Solenoids, Electromagnets and Electromagnetic Windings by Charles Reginald Underhill

unfortunately i don't have it for sharing