PDA

View Full Version : Square wave generation from USB control

anilmaddala
03-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Hell everyone,

I dont know much about controlling things directly from USB port (without using usb to serial converters).

I want to control the pwm and frequancy (if possible) of a square wave from a program running on my pc (real time). How can this be done?

Thank you.

vikas
03-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Use USB to serial to control a microcontroller.

or use Arduino/Riduino :) ... Itll just be 4 - 5 lines of coding for what you want :) .

anilmaddala
03-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Hi Vikas,

I did do a bit google search, and found many different Arduino boards and their clones. I am new to arduino, so could you please suggest me a board which is available in India (preferably in Chennai), good performance and not too costly. Thanks for your reply.

vikas
03-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Why not buy one designed by me :)

http://www.roboticsindia.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=46&product_id=72

Will be available from 1st of April.

anilmaddala
03-26-2010, 07:22 PM
That just look s great... so do you have a specification sheet, with all the pin details and all? I would love to get one for that price.

Ulhas
03-29-2010, 04:31 PM
You can use PIC18F4450/2550 instead which has built in USB pheripheral,
Use EasyHID,MikroC and do it.

However as USB has only D-,D+ two pins which is also used for speed detection and interfacing you can't use them directly for your requirement
Better use uC in between

pratheek
03-29-2010, 08:16 PM
The cheapest and easiest way to do it is to use a USB to serial and use a microcontroller connected to the converter's serial side to generate the required PWM and the frequency.
Going for this method has another advantage - your computer detects a USB to serial converter as a serial port on your computer and hence it is easier to write the host software, which will run on your computer.
If you plan to directly interface with USB, the code and the hardware required for interfacing will become quite complicated.

anilmaddala
03-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Well.. i just started in .net stream, so planning to use .net for the software part on computer.

One more day the Riduino will be out. Looking forward to try on it.

Hey Vikas, can i get some hardware and software resorces for the RIduino???

rao
03-30-2010, 04:11 PM
We are in the process of writing and uploading all the support and tutorials you need to get straight to work with RiDuino.

anilmaddala
03-30-2010, 04:47 PM
We are in the process of writing and uploading all the support and tutorials you need to get straight to work with RiDuino.

Hi Rao,

I am one of those waiting for the RIduino to come out. Good Luck and All the best.