PDA

View Full Version : total novice DSP and ARM

mandrake
05-06-2010, 01:07 AM
Hi
For my final year project, i decided using Hawkboard. The logic goes : it has both an ARM and a DSP core, so its better (i get a general purpose processor too :D).
Then i heard about TI's DaVinci platform and the Leopardboard, and its video processing capabilities.
Then i heard about the hardships and overheads of using the dsp core in hawkboard as it boots from arm.
So now i am confused to death, as i have never done any dsp or arm programming. Help me plz. ( i don't exactly know what i am looking for :D )

vikas
05-06-2010, 07:55 AM
Go for Beagle Board , Hawk Board is a waste of time as no support or community exists for it compared to Beagle.

If you want to Work on ARM9 and want DSP also .. Beagle board is your best friend ... Period. I work everyday on Arm platform so i know what im saying.

rao
05-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Just remember, dont bite on more than you can chew.

I would agree with Vikas, Even though Beagle Board is comparatively costlier, but the amount of support and the number of projects
documented online will make your life a lot more easier.

Also , because this is your final year project, you will be stuck within deadlines and working with something that has virtually no online
support (Hawkboard) means that you will have to discover everything yourself.

Just think very carefully on what you want, paying a few extra bucks can save you a lot of time.

mandrake
05-06-2010, 03:52 PM
what about Leopardboard?
Also how can i program for arm and dsp simultaneously, as in 8086-8087 style. I have read you can use only one core at a time, through dsplink.
Everything else went right over me. :o

shashak
05-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Hawk Board is a waste of time as no support
dont be too harsh :) ,
anyways i bought hawkboard and had thought i would be able to take up things quickly but time and inexperience wih linux is taking things down. Anyways i thinking of beagle now... :).
At present hawkboard with ton of peripheral only qualified for experienced people and people having lot time in hand due to its minimal support. For college project it could be catastrophic as you will be on your know and so called qualified reviewers will only see end result. And these are not completely like average microcontrollers where ppl can kick off just by datasheets.

shashak
05-06-2010, 07:20 PM
btw what you will be end product/ actual project. You should first draft it out if not done, speaking from my experience, as you will started things for DSP and endup struggle with graphics and all.

mandrake
05-06-2010, 08:42 PM
okay i'll try again :D
what about Leopardboard?
Also how can i program for arm and dsp simultaneously, as in 8086-8087 style. I have read you can use only one core at a time, through dsplink.

vikas
05-06-2010, 10:33 PM
@shashank ... did we discuss this in past over wasting time on Hawkboard ? but u were optimistic

@mandrake - Like shahank said ... Whats ur end project dude ... Looking up terms is one thing doing it on ground is different. And as you said before ur a novice ... let me tell u there is a hell of a diffrence b/w working on 8 bits avr/pic/x51 and ARM OMAP's running Angstrom/Andriod... setting up toolchains/IDE's , recompiling kernels and bootloaders ... getting GPIO to behave as you want ... you have a lot to learn.
Leopardboard is also not recommended.

mandrake
05-07-2010, 05:36 PM
@shashank ... did we discuss this in past over wasting time on Hawkboard ? but u were optimistic

@mandrake - Like shahank said ... Whats ur end project dude ... Looking up terms is one thing doing it on ground is different. And as you said before ur a novice ... let me tell u there is a hell of a diffrence b/w working on 8 bits avr/pic/x51 and ARM OMAP's running Angstrom/Andriod... setting up toolchains/IDE's , recompiling kernels and bootloaders ... getting GPIO to behave as you want ... you have a lot to learn.
Leopardboard is also not recommended.

well I followed you till recompiling kernels and bootloaders, after that wush.... right over my head again.
One goal of the final year project is to learn a lot. :D
Do I have enough time to start from scratch and make video streaming possible on any of these boards, or do I have to find myself a new project?
(by the way I am not afraid of learning :))

mandrake
05-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Okay, i have decided i am gonna go with the Hawkboard ( it's cheap :p )
Maybe i'll make it through, if i don't, well remember me. ( picks up his things and leaves )

lolman_returns
05-09-2010, 03:15 PM
WOW , what a pointless thread.

vikas
05-09-2010, 08:01 PM
@lolman - So true ...

Best of luck with HawkBoard ... ha ha .. why did you bother us then.

mandrake
05-09-2010, 08:16 PM
@lolman_returns - thank you
@vikas - Read through the thread and you will find your answer, and thanks

vikas
05-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Yep i did ... Reminds me about something which Rao says about all this :) .

rao
05-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Vikas, this is the reason why Atmega8 based boards will sell. HAHA

shashak
05-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Okay, i have decided i am gonna go with the Hawkboard ( it's cheap :p )
Maybe i'll make it through, if i don't, well remember me. ( picks up his things and leaves )

I can trade away my hawkboard if you are interested ?

mandrake
05-10-2010, 12:24 AM
okay i admit it, i know much less than all you knowledgeable people here and you must be thinking what a fool i am, but i like challenges not because i am a commando moron but because i think you learn faster this way ( has worked for me thus far ) . I just needed to know if this kit is hopeless which according to Mr. Khasim ( creator of hawkboard ) is not the case.
And i asked you guys because he didn't reply until now.
I don't want to be ungrateful of your help but this making fun of the newbies doesn't help anyone, well at best you may be able to discourage someone to the point he/she just gives up ( okay i am making this too big of an issue :D ) .
Anyway, thank you all for your precious time.

@shashak - how much ?

by the way just what is so wrong with this kit? i found plenty information on elinux.org

shashak
05-10-2010, 08:39 AM
There is nothing wrong with this kit on hardware features even better than beagle (processor apart). But these boards are meant for OS kind of stuff which we directly port out of box, if board creators are not taking initiative in supporting their hardware with these OS then it is very difficult to use much of them. You just need time to make things works.
It’s been discussed before if you had not find it yet http://www.roboticsindia.com/showthread.php/3371-ARM9-Starting-out-BlueBoard-vs-HawkBoard-vs-BeagleBoard .Anyways I will keep this board rather than back out.

mandrake
05-10-2010, 12:44 PM
there was a review of this kit in 'Linux for you' magazine, they had all good things to say about it
i don't understand your OS argument though, as far as i know it comes preloaded with one.

khasim
05-10-2010, 05:10 PM
there was a review of this kit in 'Linux for you' magazine, they had all good things to say about it
i don't understand your OS argument though, as far as i know it comes preloaded with one.

Sorry If I missed replying to your mail.

What exactly are you looking from Hawkboard. As the other mentioned on this thread, this board is really good if you want to build some High level OS knowledge with exhaustive list of peripherals, like USB, LCD, PWM, eCAP, UART, Audio, Video, SATA, etc...

Please mail me for any particular issue you folks are seeing with Hawkboard, I will try to help you out in understanding.

Thanks for owning the hawkboard and this discussion thread, looks promising. Let me know if you have any suggestions in improving hawkboard.org or hawkboard itself.

mandrake
05-10-2010, 05:43 PM
@khasim - Sir, i want to gain knowledge in the field of dsp programming, and along the way increase my understanding of Linux internals and device drivers. So that by the end of year i will have something to show for evaluation at my college and thats the secondary objective.
I have already mailed you, and i will pester you with more questions in future :D.

shashak
05-10-2010, 07:18 PM
@khasim : Good to have you here, at present I am just playing it with linux commands, practicing network commands, mount /unmount. All those stuff that already ported code(linux) meant to do . But to use it better we need to use its peripherals like uart, gpio, spi. So basic need at least for me will be a concise documentation with some sample code on peripherals for first time users like me. I believe there is lot of information but all inside mailing threads or scattered around.

khasim
05-10-2010, 11:12 PM
@khasim : Good to have you here, at present I am just playing it with linux commands, practicing network commands, mount /unmount. All those stuff that already ported code(linux) meant to do . But to use it better we need to use its peripherals like uart, gpio, spi. So basic need at least for me will be a concise documentation with some sample code on peripherals for first time users like me. I believe there is lot of information but all inside mailing threads or scattered around.

If you folks are students then this is right platform for you all to learn, when we launched Beagle board in India, I had to really spend hard time in educating students on multiple cores, ARM Cortex A8, Neon, SGX, DSP, Accelerators. In OMAP3, DSS has 200 to 300 Registers in OMAP L 138 (present on hawkboard) the LCD controller has 5 registers to program.

The second concern was cost, hawk is almost half the price with rich peripheral set, look the GPIO, PWM, eCAP, UART, SATA, Composite IN, Ethernet, I can confidently tell you that this is one such platform where you can learn all Character, Block and Networking drivers in Linux at a much lower cost.

I can give you sample experiments to try turning a LED on / off through GPIO, controlling a motor or LED brightness through PWM, routing Composite IN (DVD Player) out put onto SATA for storage, doing a PPP protocol over UART, Use LCD for infinite UI apps, learn how LCD works in reality, see how to get colored lines,.... and many more....

But I don't want to teach you these, it is easy and you can do this. I want you to take experiments and learn how to implement them. I can work with you over phone or meet you where ever you want for conducting classes or chat over IRC. But I want this to be your contribution to hawkboard.org community, where you earn respect and get recognized.

Please don't ask me for solutions rather ask for problems and I will get you everything that makes you work towards solving the problem.

Feel free to mail me khasim at beagleboard dot org

Good Luck

Khasim