PDA

View Full Version : Sharp GP2Y0D810Z0F Digital Distance Sensor

sudarshan
05-16-2010, 10:32 PM
does any one know how to use Sharp GP2Y0D810Z0F Digital Distance Sensor from

http://www.rhydolabz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=501

i would like to use as obstracle sensor.

i have atmega32 how to use with it .should i use digital pins and how to interface it.

allbits
05-17-2010, 02:31 PM
The sensor out will go low when an obstacle is in the specified range. Thats it. I would say you can use Gp2d12 if you want to measure distance. You will get an analog out with GP2D12 and its variants.

You can use the traditional IR pair and a comparator if all you want to do is to detect an obstacle.The cost will be less than Rs 20.

sudarshan
05-17-2010, 03:19 PM
I have five Ir sensors from robokits india

http://robokits.co.in/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=94&zenid=r8i4v4j7pblubbl07br3up4pt7

the problem is none of them works properly
i use two of them for my robot.

the problem is only one of them works during runtime. i am sure the program does not have error as it is provided by robokits themself .
it also has a potentiometer to adjust .it is a head ache

lolman_returns
05-17-2010, 04:51 PM
does any one know how to use Sharp GP2Y0D810Z0F Digital Distance Sensor from

http://www.rhydolabz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=501

i would like to use as obstracle sensor.

i have atmega32 how to use with it .should i use digital pins and how to interface it.

Dont you think Rhydolabz who sell this product will be able to give you better support? I mean you paid for it. Dont you think you should ask them?

Also Datasheet of this given sensor has all the information you need.

allbits
05-18-2010, 10:05 AM
the problem is none of them works properly
i use two of them for my robot.

the problem is only one of them works during runtime. i am sure the program does not have error as it is provided by robokits themself .
it also has a potentiometer to adjust .it is a head ache

thats because when you connect many IR transmitters, the total available current splits up. This reduces the range of each sensor,depending upon the series resistance you have connected. You will have t tune it, yes, it is a headache, but this happens to any sensors. if you have worked with multiple sensors, you will know what i mean. Here, the battery becomes important. also, the sensors from robokits are modulated. you can have interference of the sensors are not properly placed.

Also important is the colour and the reflectivity of the obstacle. always calib. with the normal white A4 sheet of paper (the photocopy paper)
Of course sharp sensors are better, but it comes with a price. the one with rhydolabz will work, but i dont think its worth the price. GP2D12 is better, and i wold prefer that, even though it comes at a higher price.
Anyway, these sensors are slow, in case you need fast sensors, you will need to get a better IR pair, which again is more costly than sharp sensors.

sudarshan
05-18-2010, 03:24 PM
"thats because when you connect many IR transmitters, the total available current splits up. This reduces the range of each sensor,depending upon the series resistance you have connected."

i have connected two ir sensors to a 5 volt supply from ic 7805.which is built in avr 40 pin robot controller v2 board from robokits.
the sensor outs to the pins PA0 and PA1 .
what is a series resistance i think that board doesn,t have any of them??

sudarshan
05-18-2010, 03:26 PM
i have asked them but no reply from them

and i have not yet bought it yet i want to confirm wheater it would suit for my need

allbits
05-19-2010, 09:14 AM
There will be a resistor in series with the IR transmitter. track the PCB and you will find it. IR LEDs take up current, so better check the current it consumes using a DMM. Anyway, what range do you want.

avinash_g
05-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Hey guys don't pull your hair and struggle to get a simple IR Obstacle detection working!

Nor do buy s**king products from Robokits

Sit back relax and enjoy this article!

http://extremeelectronics.co.in/robotics/obstacle-avoiding-robot-using-avr-atmega32-%e2%80%93-part-ii/

I bet you will have a IR Obstacle Detection working in NO time!!!

avinash_g
05-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Also in the poll their is one importmant option missing "I don't know" so the poll options should be

*Yes
*No
*I don't know.

Also the working of the GP2Y0D810Z0F sensor is extremely simple and written on the first page of the product info!

allbits
05-19-2010, 10:46 AM
@avinash.

that was rude.
You have some stuff at your shop, fine. You have a good article, fine. But you cant simply use words with *** and say other stuff sucks. I have used the same sensor from robokits long time back, and it has worked, if used properly.

People struggle with everything including IR sensors, and every one does. Dont tell me you havent struggled at all when you started learning.
and If you want to project your article, just post the direct link to it. other lines are unnecessary.

sudarshan
05-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Hey guys don't pull your hair and struggle to get a simple IR Obstacle detection working!

Nor do buy s**king products from Robokits

Sit back relax and enjoy this article!

http://extremeelectronics.co.in/robotics/obstacle-avoiding-robot-using-avr-atmega32-%e2%80%93-part-ii/

I bet you will have a IR Obstacle Detection working in NO time!!!

does you sensor give digital out.
i have to use adc for your sensor which again a change in program and turnng vref pot and more
but i do like the article you publish avinash.

avinash_g
05-19-2010, 12:22 PM
@Sudharshan
No need to use Vfer POT. Vref is fixed at 5v and trigger is made using software.

@Allbits
I think Robokits should have published the schematic and design guideline so that people could have made it themselves instead of buying. (If they really want to help the community)

About struggling:
I simply love it. It give a kind of addiction to me!

lolman_returns
05-19-2010, 12:39 PM
LOL one shop cussing out another, what else is new. Only because of the lax legal system. This could have fetched me some money out of a defamation lawsuit if I was robokits and NOT in India. Please learn or google for something called maturity Avinash. Will help you a lot in the longer run.