PDA

View Full Version : help for rc boats

firebolt
03-13-2005, 02:48 PM
hey guys
i wanna build power borats for my college tech fst
the problem is that they should be wireless radio controlled(rc)
i have no expirence in rc robots n dunno where to get the stuff n how to program it if the need b
so can anyone guide me about therc bots n how to get the desired mechanism from them
secondly i wanna know what are the components and where can i get them in chandigarh or nearby places

vidur
03-13-2005, 06:39 PM
You need for a boat

A checklist of what you have to do

First- > A boat.....Try getting a long slim canoe type shape....Boats with little cross section will go like a rocket but will have stability problems..i.e. it may capsize when you put it in water....a large cross section boat will be very stable ..but will have a very PAINFULLY SLOW....This i know from experience...

To stablize a canoe..use pontoons on either sides...

2-> Radio : Certain companies sell RF modules....both modulators & demodulators built into them....U can hook up an UART to them & communicate using RS-232...Check some of the threads on this forum...we've discussed them be4

Or you can Hook up DTMF chips to the modules for communication....That'll be easier i suppose....Maybe other members can provide help on this aspect...

3-> Command & cOntrol: Find an suitable microcontroller to use...Something you can learn fast , simple yet powerful enough...say PIC 16F84a

4->A DC motor & good Propellors....
You can use propellors from a PC's or SMPS cooling Fan!...they work great....Just check out the direction you want

5-> Rudder control: unless you want the thing to go straight...You can use auxiliary motors on the sides of the boat(as submersibles do )for direction ...Use small propellors for these...if you want to reduce mechanical complexities

6-> Prayers!....Just Kidding :wink:

So you're boat will have a block diagram like this

RADIO---->UART/DTMF decoder----->MICROCONTROLLER--->Propulsion & Rudder

About part avail. in chandigarh....i cant say....in dilli,....chk out the wiki section

If you have ,more specific queries...i'll be gald to assist

vidur

samrat189
03-15-2005, 12:38 AM
hey nice robot :) :o

Sandeep
03-17-2005, 01:53 AM
Hey if u want something easy and ofcourse cheaper try following

1. Get 2 good dc motors & propellors
2. Get a circuit from RC car
3. Hook them up directly or with help of relays if the consume high current.

firebolt_4u
04-06-2005, 05:57 PM
vidur
thanx for the help
actually i got the 2nd option
hacked a rc car
can u tell me what are pontoons?
u mentioned them about safety
and will propellers from pc's give enough thrust

vidur
04-06-2005, 07:06 PM
pontoons are like ballasts....you put them alongside the boat. they stablize the boat from capsizing...... Very necessary if your boat's hull is narrow , like that of a canoe or kayak...

You may omit them if your boat's base is wide

The processor fan motor is too underpowered.

Buy a DC motor....say 2000 rpm, These things are pretty robust...I've seen a guy's DC motor halfway immeresed in water & not getting short circuited!...buy you dont have to try that!