PDA

View Full Version : USBasp not working problem

gururajmail
05-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Hi i am a beginner with micro controllers. I got a USBasp soldered . The firmware got flashed onto ATmega 8 from a wgorking USBasp successfully and LED was glowing .. But when I connect my USBasp to the pc thru usb port , it is giving only 1V across the 1st (Vcc) and 4th pin(ground) of the usb connecter and LED does not glow. But when i remove the Atmega 8 and plug in the connecter it gives 5V. I have checked for shorts on the board and cant find any. Could the problem be that i have soldered a female USB connecter and made a male- male cable by cutting and joing 2 usb cables to join it to my pc? I couldnt get a male usb connecter locally hence i did this. Please help

pratheek
05-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Check the connections you have made in order to make the male-male USB cable.

Also, the USBasp has an option to run on target power supply. Try using the USBasp by providing external 5V and cutting of the USB's +5V from the circuit. If it works, then you definitely have made a mistake in the connections while building the male-male cable or have a short circuit on the board.

Also try using a different USB port on your computer.

avinash_g
05-30-2010, 09:03 AM
If you are a beginner then why you complicate things!

I mean why you cut/join cables??? The most probable thing that could have happened is wrong wiring.

If you don't get proper connector then you could have just soldered the wires directly to the Board (like in Mouse).

asimov_18
05-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Hi ,
If you are a novice and don't really have much experience why not buy readymade USBasp. I mean you can buy it online for 400 INR there are many shops selling online for about this price.

Asimov

Ulhas
05-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Here "http://elecrom.wordpress.com/products/"

it cost Rs 270/- only. Why to waste time if you don't know what's the problem.
You may damage the USB port if your cut wire shorts. Or use proper connector for USB as such there is nothing complex in USBasp programmer.

avinash_g
05-31-2010, 09:42 AM
I think the thread starter is NOT interested in it any more !!!