PDA

View Full Version : Electric Scooter controller

anilmaddala
05-28-2010, 11:14 AM
Hi i am planning to do skateboard with electric scooter motor attached to it...

Putting the mechanical stuff aside, i dont understand what exactly are the inputs to the controller which connects to the mtor.

If any one has any experience eith this please help me.

Thank you...

allbits
05-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Skateboard??

leaving that, an electric scooter motor is a BLDC, and the controller normally have three wires to the motor, wires to the Hall sensors and Accelerator.

So you plan to put the bulky Motor and even bulkier lead acid batt below the skateboard??

vikas
05-28-2010, 01:09 PM
I had an idea some time back ...

Why not buy two off the shelf scooters and combine them to make a small 2 person car :) with a fiber glass body :) ha ha. With a Differential Drive ... Great For Parking :) . And it will be Drive by Wire :).

I know it sounds funny , and might not be road legal ... but as a college project might get someone into News !!! .

Actually Reva is dam expensive for what it offers !!! should be < 1 lakh.

MohitM
05-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Two reasons:
1. Till some time back, government duties. Now I believe, the government has reduced duties on electric duties, so its a bit cheaper these days.
2. They've sold just about 3000 cars to date. For such low volume of sales, no economy of scale. Hence, high prices.

MohitM
05-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Why not buy two off the shelf scooters and combine them to make a small 2 person car :) .
The fellow at Bajaj have done better.
1. One Bajaj scooter + One rickshaw.
2. Replaced the rickshaw tyres with the 3 tyres that came with the scooter (the spare too).
3. Put some steel and rexine cladding around this contraption.
4. And thus came the autorickshaw.

Expect for that differential drive, I think the auto meets all your specs, exceeds a few even:
1. A lot more than 2 people can sit.
2. Steel body,
3. Great for parking,
4. Drive by wire - I've sat in one where the accelerator wire broke at the handle lever and the fellow pulled the remaining length from somewhere below the steering column and yanked at it when he wanted to speed.
5. Its legal.

akshay66
05-28-2010, 01:40 PM
http://www.webx.dk/rc/scooter/scooter.htm

Try this!!!

vikas
05-28-2010, 08:56 PM
@ Mohit - But sadly this auto costs 4.5 Lakhs !!! and is not electric and not easy to get one. And is highly polluting due to the two stroke enigne.

I want something electric and fully covered. Due to all the ICE around we will one day get roasted :) . I would prefer electric but no alternatives around other than Reva ( its manufactured in India , Parts might be imported though ) .

I want something clean and cheap !!! :) . Sadly two dont mix ... :| .

anilmaddala
05-29-2010, 02:35 AM
Hmmm.. 2 stroke engine puffs out lot of smoke and is damn noisy.... i am thinking of placing a 250w motor, haven't thought of the batteries yet. every thing will go onto the board (not below)

And i am looking into making this whole setup wireless controlled. So the skateboard will have a receiver which gives a PWM output, based on it we (hopefully) can control the speed of the motor.

anilmaddala
05-29-2010, 02:42 AM
Something like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAzi6f2gHhM

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electric-Mountain-Board/

allbits
05-29-2010, 06:49 AM
well..

Scooter motors are a bit big and heavy, and thats why I asked "skateboard??" in the beginning. You will end up with about 10Kg with the battery and motor, and you may not be able to 'steer' it easily, with that wheel diameter.

allbits
05-29-2010, 06:51 AM
And I guess the "scooter" you are talking about is the 'scooter' as in electric two wheeler !!

pratheek
05-29-2010, 08:22 AM
To tell you how to control the motors, you will first have to tell us what kind of motors you are using and the type of motor controller you are using.

akshay66
05-29-2010, 01:33 PM
It will be tough but try making a three wheeled scooter which has both the features i mein steering & differetial drive.It will be lovely but costly & hard too.

anilmaddala
05-29-2010, 03:18 PM
I thought whatever be the kind of electric scooter motor, all would have similar controller... Is it not?

I plan to get the parts as cheap as possible.. may be from used (kids) scooters and stuff.

asimov_18
05-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Since a scate board doesn't need to have a lot of speed (for safty reasons) why not try a dc wiper motor used in cars they should do the job fine and theuy can run from a simple PWM driver( can be made using NE555/NE556) a a couple if IRFZ44n mosfets with a 12v 7A leab Acid battery(UPS battery) ......lot of fun at low cost and simplicity!!!!!!

Asimov

akshay66
05-29-2010, 09:30 PM
Does it have enough torque???

allbits
05-30-2010, 12:03 AM
I thought whatever be the kind of electric scooter motor, all would have similar controller... Is it not?

No!!

Thats why I specifically asked what you meant by 'scooter'. You can have BLDC as well as brushed ones. You cannot control both of them in the same way.
I thought you already have the motor.

If you are planning for the bulky BLDC motors you find in two wheelers (which will in turn cost about 4K + 2.5K for the controller), get ready for the bandages!!

Design first, and then choose a motor accordingly. Make yourself sure what you want in terms of dimensions and speed. Otherwise it will take another two pages of this thread when you yourself understand what you really wanted to make.

pratheek
05-30-2010, 09:41 AM
You could also use electric wheelchair motors.

vidy
05-30-2010, 04:08 PM
+1

a segway lookalike will be cool..

DIY segway

http://diysegway.blogspot.com

berryr
06-05-2012, 12:19 PM