PDA

View Full Version : Which Micro-controller should be preferred for robotics applications ??

Rufio
05-31-2010, 02:53 PM
I have done a detailed study on 8051..
do i need to learn PIC also...
or can all tasks be performed using 8051...

pratheek
05-31-2010, 05:49 PM
8051 will be more than enough for building most basic robots.

But PIC and AVR are more advanced and offer more features than 8051.

Ulhas
05-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Truly the one for whom you know how to start writing codes
I will prefer to go for AVR

Not exactly if you have compiler from same company for all above derivatives then concept of programming will be same regardless of uC.
Only some configuration you need to know and that also on need to know basis, That can be earned from source code.
If you have not yetstarted any compiler then i will suggest to go for MikroC compiler from this link
http://www.mikroe.com/eng/categories/view/2/compilers/
The advantage is that just learned any one you will be in position to programe PIC,8051,AVR,dsPIC. These compilers help file is most ever simplified help among all others
For AVR codevisionAVR is also best one

As on today 8051 is slowest,PIC is slower,AVR is the fastest uC when compared with cost,availability, port structures etc

Rufio
05-31-2010, 10:11 PM
Thanks a lot guys.....my dilemma is resolving now....thanks a lot for this usefull help....

allbits
05-31-2010, 10:26 PM
1) There are NO controllers which are exclusively good for robotics. It all depends on what you do in the "robotics" project of yours.
2) The PIC - AVR war will go on and on, its all about personal preference and the local availability
3) You might be doing obstacle detection, or may be balancing something on two wheels, or may be some BLDC control. When you select a chip, you should know the architecture,
so that you can exploit the architecture.
4) many people Use ARM to make a line follower, or may be even an obstactle detector. People dont realise Its Not just the speed of the Controller that is important, but the responce time of the sensors!!
5)1 MIPS on a RISC is more than enough for basic (line follower - obstacle - this and that ) robotics applications.
6) 8051 is not a bad core, and using them doesnt mean you are living in prehistoric times. 2051 is a cute chip, and simple, and is enough for simple applications. I would say even using an 877 for a basic line follower is an overkill.

I have done a detailed study on 8051..
do i need to learn PIC also...
or can all tasks be performed using 8051...

Robotics is not about a microcontroller. There is another side of it which includes understanding of mechanics, voltage, current and motors, and battery.

vikas
05-31-2010, 10:36 PM
Most basic robot dont really need a micocontroller, a Few 74XX series connected can take care of them.

Lately Arduino is which is a IDE based on AVR is actually making AVR the most popular by making even Non techies easily handle SPI , PWM etc etc and make things like line followers and obstical avoiders 5 - 10 lines of code robots.

Rufio
06-01-2010, 06:55 AM
thanks a lot.........And i will definately look into arduino