PDA

View Full Version : beginner

goalus
06-06-2010, 12:45 AM
Hi,

I am a beginner to robotics... I and my team are planning to build a robot with basic locomotion, basic vision(to avoid obstacles while moving) and if possible even a basic arm... I will take care of the programing and math part. Our time limit is nearly 1 year.

Generally what programing language is used for making robots like i mentioned above? and the duration required for to do it??

MGear
06-06-2010, 02:47 AM
Welcome to Robotics India,

Before you get started with 'Robotics' I would like you to get your basics clear in basic Electronics , Mechanics and Programming.
The Locomotion part is the Basic one. As for the beginner, you can start with a differential drive ( the Tank style).
But when it comes to vision and arm, you'd need some experience. So get it from building your own robotic locomotive.
For programming language you can efficiently use C/C++.
Start your initial level by following Tutorials devoted to specific topics and move on.
And an years time is long enough to make a basic robot.

All the Best ! :)

goalus
06-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Thanks,

I will start from july 1st.... will definitely be needing your suppord and advice...

MGear
06-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Youre welcome,

Just one more thing, try to keep a digital record of all the things you'd be experimenting/building. Take proper snaps of the project at different stages of development. This will help you in recognizing your mistakes and also in successfully posting your query...

pratheek
06-06-2010, 06:25 PM
How do you want to go about doing the vision processing part? Do you want to do it using a computer or do you want to do it onboard on your robot's main controller board ?

Doing the vision processing onboard will be a lot tough, challenging and ambitious for a first project, doing it on a computer will be easier. You can program your robot using C, C++ or even JAVA . I have found C to be the most popular and there are a lot of free compilers available for C for most popular microcontroller platforms. For the vision processing, you can use MATLAB, RoboRealm or a similar software.

goalus
06-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Thanks a lot everyone...
I will start vision processing after 6 months... now just the locomotion part...

pratheek .. thanks....i will know more details soon. Coding is not a problem for me.... i have done good projects before, but this is my first project in robotics....infact i have not done any hardware projects before....hence i am worried.

pratheek
06-07-2010, 05:44 PM
All the best then. Good luck.