PDA

View Full Version : problem with usb to rs232q

shyam.sunder91
06-25-2010, 08:23 PM
ok il make it clear dudes i have an old microcontroller programmer with me which uses the rs232 protocol

nowadays the motherboards come with out a com port

so i hav purchased a usb to rs232 converter for that i have installed the pl2303 driver

though i hav installed the prolific driver the usb is not recogonized

give me a solution faster

shobhitkukreti
06-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Is your old microcontroller programmer serial port powered ?

Ulhas
06-26-2010, 08:24 AM
Because of wide tolerance zone on RS232 signal voltage levels, USB2Serial convertor will be in position to satisfy the need of USB2Serial convertor but when it is used for programmer or any other pheripheral then it gives up. This is because they will not be in position to source the current and required voltage levels on signal pins. You can still go on with your convertor but with small level convertor like Max232 , Max233 with power supply but it lacks portability

Hence i can suggest to go for pci io card instead of usb2serial convertor.

shyam.sunder91
06-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Is your old microcontroller programmer serial port powered ?

i dont what u are asking but i have worked with it with my old motherboard though com port rs232

so i purchased as usb to rs232 interface cable .so now the problem is with usb to rs232 converter when i plug the usb device it is not recogonised

i hav used the prolific pl2303 driver for this reply plzzz

let me resolve the problem of making the device come under ports

thats all

this is usb to rs232
http://www.nexus-computers.co.uk/shop/images/USB_to_RS232_cable.jpg

http://sandman78.mystarband.net/unknowndevice.jpg

i was supposed to get this
http://www.tighnamara.ca/opencpn/sites/default/files/users/optimator/DeviceManager-1.jpg

shyam.sunder91
06-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Because of wide tolerance zone on RS232 signal voltage levels, USB2Serial convertor will be in position to satisfy the need of USB2Serial convertor but when it is used for programmer or any other pheripheral then it gives up. This is because they will not be in position to source the current and required voltage levels on signal pins. You can still go on with your convertor but with small level convertor like Max232 , Max233 with power supply but it lacks portability

Hence i can suggest to go for pci io card instead of usb2serial convertor.

sorry this not the thing what i expect my problem is my usb device is not found even after installing the driver

shobhan03
06-26-2010, 11:37 AM
which OS are you using? because even i have been facing problems in my windows 7. it should not be a problem with xp.

shobhitkukreti
06-26-2010, 01:45 PM
I just asked , what programmer you are using, could you send a snap of it. How is the programmer powered ?

vikas
06-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Serial programmers , based on bit toggling dont work with USB-to serial converters. This is as all lines are not emulated properly and are not fast enough for programming.

Best you buy a USB Programmer.

allbits
06-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Yours is a driver problem. Use the CD which came with the Cable. Getting the correct driver from the net is a pain.
Uninstall the device before you install a new driver.

Also, I think you will get better solutions for this problem from a PC - related forum rather than from a robotics forum.

pratheek
06-26-2010, 05:37 PM
I guess, you have a faulty USB to serial converter. Try contacting the manufacturer your USB to serial converter for support.

If you have a converter with a chinese make, then you are on your own. Those chinese USB to serial converters are hardly reliable. I have quite a few of those converters. Most of them do not work and some work only sometimes.

Even if you get a proper USB to serial converter, you may not be able to program through the converter as most serial programmers do not work with USB to serial converter.

Ulhas
06-26-2010, 06:01 PM
sorry this not the thing what i expect my problem is my usb device is not found even after installing the driver

Definately you won't get it under USB convertor section

Alll these convertors are actually serial port emulators and creates a virtual com port under Ports(COM & LPT) heading, if you have installed drivers correctly you can see it there

However i want to wish you best of luck for getting it work for you which never worked for many of us

shyam.sunder91
06-26-2010, 07:37 PM
I guess, you have a faulty USB to serial converter. Try contacting the manufacturer your USB to serial converter for support.

If you have bought one with a chinese make, then you are almost on your own. Those chinese USB to serial converters are hardly reliable. I have quite a few of those converters. Most of them do not work and some work sometimes.

Even if you get a proper USB to serial converter, you may not be able to program through the converter as most serial programmers do not work with USB to serial converter.

oh exactly it was the chinese thing i bought

solution would be throwing it in a dustbin :)

shyam.sunder91
06-26-2010, 07:41 PM
which OS are you using? because even i have been facing problems in my windows 7. it should not be a problem with xp.

im using xp ,inorded to work with this particular one i have changed from win7 to xp stil the problem remain may be the problem is with the device it self

really these chinese products have to be banned

shyam.sunder91
06-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Yours is a driver problem. Use the CD which came with the Cable. Getting the correct driver from the net is a pain.
Uninstall the device before you install a new driver.

Also, I think you will get better solutions for this problem from a PC - related forum rather than from a robotics forum.

yes i have installed the pl2303 the prolific driver from the cd of the package i bought

shobhitkukreti
06-26-2010, 08:22 PM
The prolific USB To RS232 cable worked for me on Windows vista