PDA

View Full Version : i want to begin [Quadrotor]

anaparti
06-27-2010, 10:37 AM
i have basic knowledge of c++ and other higher level languages. and i had done some assembly language project during my college days - a decade ago. so u people know where i stand. i have shifted to delhi and want to make a four rotor helicopter. i did some google and know the basic sturcture and stuff. i want guidance on where i will get the correct stuff - the servos , PCBs, ICs etc . it must be lajpat rai market but i don't want to get into the wrong shop at this beginner stage. i also found a site where they taught a simple robot using PICAXE pcb but could not find it on the online stores of india.

i found some pcbs on indian online shops but don't know how to use them - the programming and pin nos etc.

i want to start with simple robot - a walking and talking one . then finally my helicopter with gps and six cameras with wireless with a range of 1 km at least. so if somebody understood my situation - just guide me a little. i don't want pre-assembled kits - i want to do the soldering myself - i hope somebody can help me here.

Thanks in advance.!!

pratheek
06-27-2010, 10:55 AM
I do not know of any place in India where you can buy a PICAXE at a resonable price. Arduinos and its clones are easily available at cheap rates. So I would suggest you go for Arduino.

Most (not all) development boards you buy from online stores come with instructions on how to use them. So it should not be a problem for you to use them, even if you do not have any prior experience in programming microcontrollers.

There a few good beginner tutorials on RI which should help you with your first robot.

anaparti
06-27-2010, 11:00 AM
thanks pratheek. while u replied i went around this site. i will see the tutorials also. thanks for the tip on PICAXE - or else i would wasted lot of time trying to find it.

allbits
06-27-2010, 11:30 AM
i want to start with simple robot - a walking and talking one .

They are not all 'simple' to make, for a beginner. Start with simple wheeled vehicles.

anaparti
06-27-2010, 11:51 AM
i got ur point. mean while i read some posts about avr programming. i just like to know wht is better - x- boards, avr or 8051 . and is Lajpat Rai Market in Delhi the correct place apart from the online shops. are these online tutorials sufficient to make a start. any book shop etc.

i am almost behaving like a baby with a silver spoon. i wil grab whatever u people can give :-)

shobhitkukreti
06-27-2010, 12:14 PM
google is the keyword. Internet is such a huge resource of information. Walking and talking robot , forget it for the time being. I guess a decade ago means, you need to start again on learning , unless you worked somewhere where you had experience in this domain.

anaparti
06-27-2010, 12:35 PM
u r right, i am learning again and i was in totally different field. but i have caught up on my c and c++ . but wil the kits i buy have tutorials for doing the asmbly programming ? i will find out. thee tutorials on this site are vry useful - at least for a beginner like me. by the way i also intend to build a cyborg :-).

i am logging off now. but pls keep posting as much as possible . i will come back. thanks everyone !!!!!!!!!!

shobhitkukreti
06-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Anaparti, start off by setting simpler goals. You are still to start with programming. There is no assurance that the kits will have tutorials along with them. Though i do not find any reason, that you will not be able to find tutorials online for almost all the brand of microcontroller you plan to use.

docel
06-27-2010, 09:41 PM
The Quadrotor is not really easy to fly, even if you buy and assemble a ready kit. There are a lot of realistic things that online tutorials fail to highlight or mention. One has to gain these through hands-on experience. The Quadrotor circuit boards are best bought rather than hand made as it involves SMD components to reduce weight. Just because it is popular and found everywhere on-line does not mean it is easy. Flying and making something that can fly is an art by itself that can only be gained by making it yourself.
Do something very basic and see what it involves- like a motor with a propeller fixed to a meter scale - it will teach you a lot of things that neither books nor the on-line tutorials/ articles will.
Buy a ready to fly helicopter and fly it - it will teach you the nuances of flight and aerodynamics.

Good luck!

anaparti
06-28-2010, 10:23 PM
i am back! thanks for all the guidance. i am really amazed that there exists such a good indian site for such stuff. i hope this continues. when i become a T-1000 :-) i will definitely do my bit.

i found the shopping list on this site. u guys have shop nos loaded on this site. what else can one ask ? the idea of that hackerspace is also good! but in india its very difficult to start and even more difficult to sustain - given the social conditions of our middle class.

right now let me start with a stick and two wheels !! i will post my experience whenever it happens!

anilmaddala
07-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Hey before you do anything... first try to get a simulator... If you can fly it successfully in the sim then you can continue with the implementation.

Trust me. U better not jump into and get the stuff first. Even i had these statup issues and learnt them the hardway :D

anaparti
07-01-2010, 05:40 PM
ok anilmaddal. i got a book on avr programming and now i know about the memory structure of avr microcontroller chips. learnt some basic syntax in C for port input and output, a little bit about interrupts and now i will get deeper into the PWM techinique to control the rotor speed, intensity of LED etc. Can i simulate Mega16 Mega128 etc on AVR studio. i have installed AVR Studio. i found a language package called ROBOTC ( trial package is avbl on net). And also i ordered a QU-BOT for beginners from robokits.co.in. i think i got a good deal - this package has lot of stuff with sample codes and no soldering required as of now. but if i want i can hack this kit - this is what the company claims. which means that when i get a little better i can take the MEga16/32 board out and use it as per my wish. it comes with a couple of motors and sensors also !! :-). for 3k i feel this is a good deal for starters. what say ? i have made the payment today so i will get the delivery by next week i hope. ( i think robokits.co.in is a good place to buy onlline - any comments? )

if i get enough free time, i should tell u people about my first robot in a couple of weeks !!!!!!!!!!! - although it won't be completely my original idea - but i am excited !!!!!!!!!!11

anaparti
07-01-2010, 05:58 PM
that was a doubt i had. should i buy a big board with progrmmer and debuggr inbuilt or can i play around with qu-bot and arduino etc. i intuitively feel attracted to avr family.

lolman_returns
07-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Dont buy the 8051 kit, arent you already bored of working with it at your college??

anilmaddala
07-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Ok Anaparti... that's a good start but this is a very small step. What we are talking about are accelerometers, gyro,radio communication and a lot of practice and testing.... its not as simple as you think....I'ive got tell you this my final year project was based on radio helicopter... its a disaster i survived :D butl i learnt quite a bit.

anaparti
07-03-2010, 01:52 PM
i got my qu-bot within 2 days of payment thru cash deposit in their bank account. this is good indian site. now i begin my quest with the qu-bot. ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!

anaparti
07-05-2010, 06:52 PM
yes ! my first robot using the very very simple graphic programming kit of qu-bot. i am itching to rip that board apart with my soldering rod. first i will make all the given programmes in graphic programming kit and then do some c programming.

it was very simple so i am not posting any photos etc. no video either. it took me one hour to get the obstacle avoider going. my daughter has attached the usb cable at the back and takes it around the house as if it is her pet. i fear she should not decide to give it bath or something :-)

anaparti
07-07-2010, 11:23 PM
the Qu=bot i had bought earlier - i am not able to connect with AVR-Studio. i think they have used their own inbuilt isp using usb port. do i need to buy a programmer ? if so then i will need to solder / connet those five pins on my Qu-bot Mega16 chip to five male connectors to allow the programmer interface with this avr. I want to know am i correct in this analysis. i feel i am - but need some backing to go ahead.

Even otherwise i will take the risk if i don't get reply / answer :-)

i want to build my own isp - just to get my hands dirty.

where can i find the theory behind this - i mean, why to place that resistor on that pin and what is MOSI, RESET and all those five pins on avr which we connect to make an isp. i am gettig ready made isp for about Rs 700/- .

[ The Posts must adhere to the Topic and qualify. Your posts have deviated from the main subject = Quadrotor andhence is off-topic. Please start a new thread in the appropriate Forum.
-Mod.]