PDA

View Full Version : URGENT! Atmosphere and humidity sensor

diffthinkr
06-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Could someone tell me the part name and rough price of the following.

1) Air pressure measurement. I'm looking for an ic or something of that sort that measures atmospheric pressure. I found this one MPX2100 but couldn't find a price.

2) soil humidity measurement. I haven't found any chip for this.

I'm working on a bit of a price constraint, so could someone point me to the cheapest ones. I've been searching all over the net but couldn't find Indian prices.

Thank you.

akshay66
06-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Try these:
http://www.vegarobokit.com/sub_category.aspx?sub_category_id=30&category_id=45

maybe you find something usefull.

diffthinkr
06-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks
but Went through those and those are atmospheric humidity sensors. I'm looking for a soil humidity sensor and atmospheric pressure sensor

vikas
06-29-2010, 03:37 AM
Not many indian vendors , Buy from US ... there are a whole lot available and easily.

Else DIY :) -

http://www.cheapvegetablegardener.com/2009/03/how-to-make-cheap-soil-moisture-sensor.html

docel
06-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Soil Humidity sensor is just a glorified Ohm meter. Take a DMM and stick the probes into the soil in the 2M or 20M ohm range. The resistance reading on the multimeter will be a function of the Soil humidity= moisture= water=wetness.

Or ...should I be even more basic than this?

and yes ...cheap?? you can make a Soil Humidity meter for as cheap as 10 bucks

ps: I'm sure- a long and tortuous number of posts will result as arguments for & against my simple statement.....

diffthinkr
06-29-2010, 06:30 PM
I'm keeping that method as my last resort as it is highy dependant on the soil composition and pH. This would mean that I would have to calibrate it everytime which is not possible in this case. I was looking more importantly for the atmospheric pressure measurement.

Does anyone know of the cost of MPX2100 or any such devices?

docel
06-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Huh ??

[COLOR=Blue]
ps: I'm sure- a long and tortuous number of posts will result as arguments for & against my simple statement.....
Huh ??

Did you Really, really search the net ??

I think you should 'know' what you want thoroughly before asking for information or tell us what you want it for in detail- the application.

I did a simple Google and found 16,980 instances of your first requirement and 1,84,000 of the latter. All with price tags and other such colorful details that are more than necessary.

Next thing we know, you'll complain that your sensor will not work below MSL....

docel
06-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Huh ??

[COLOR=Blue]
Huh ??

I think you should 'know' what you want thoroughly before asking for information or tell us what you want it for in detail- the application.

I did a simple Google and found 16,980 instances of your first requirement and 1,84,000 of the latter. All with price tags and other such colorful details that are more than necessary.

Next thing we know, you'll complain that your sensor will not work below MSL or below freezing....

So, lets be realistic: post your application in detail and lets see if anyone on the Forum can something specific.

docel
06-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Huh ??

[COLOR=Blue]
Huh ??

Next thing we know, you'll complain that your sensor will not work below MSL or below freezing....

So, lets be realistic: post your application in detail and lets see if anyone on the Forum can suggest something specific.

docel
06-29-2010, 07:12 PM

So, lets be realistic: post your application in detail and lets see if anyone on the Forum can suggest something specific.

docel
06-29-2010, 07:13 PM

Next thing we know, you'll complain that your sensor will not work below MSL or below freezing....:D

diffthinkr
06-29-2010, 07:33 PM
Docel,
I did search the net as much as I could for about 2.5 days as soon as I got the project. I take forums as a last resort as I like to sort things out on my own. But this is field that I haven't worked much in. I did find a lot of 'devices' that measure the pressure but couldn't spot any IC's like MPX2100. It is also true that the all quote prices but I didn't come across one that quote in rupees.

I'm planning to hook one upto an Atmega to find fluctuations in atmospheric pressure.

The same is the case with the soil humidity sensor.

docel
06-29-2010, 09:12 PM
I read through your Blog and liked your stand on several things. I have Tweeted your Blog too, as I felt that you can do with some exposure. Also, if you're as smart as you write, you can see a similar Project on Twitter using a simple Soil humidity Sensor !

Sensors cost money and may not be always available in Indian currency in single quantities. I can source an MPXxxxx sensor for you, if you really need it, in my next import order.
Forget looking for Soil Humidity Sensor. That is a specific professional sensor and is pretty expensive but there is no need for it at all. A simple but very effective Soil humidity sensor can be home-made and will work quite well. It will also give you something to be proud of- of making your own sensor. Use a manufactured sensor and people will just nod. Say you 'made' the sensor yourself and they'll sit up and take notice. Believe me, its a feeling that can never be purchased. I know this because I made my own sensors as a kid- and I still do. My school kids make their own sensors too and are much appreciated by one and all including professionals and scientists. it is what is known as innovation.

Nobody expects things to be perfect and nothing is, for a long time. I have to get my Rs.20,000 DMM calibrated twice a year@ 1/10 the cost of the meter to satisfy my clients and approvals !

So, let me know if you're interested to go the innovative way....

Good luck!

asimov_18
06-30-2010, 09:00 AM
HI
Try getting some thing from Farnell , buy the cheapest one they are eually good

http://in.farnell.com/pressure-sensors

http://in.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=1003100+156395&No=0&getResults=true&appliedparametrics=true&locale=en_IN&catalogId=&prevNValues=1003100&filtersHidden=false&appliedHidden=false&originalQueryURL=%2Fjsp%2Fsearch%2Fbrowse.jsp%3FN% 3D1003100%26No%3D0%26getResults%3Dtrue%26appliedpa rametrics%3Dtrue%26locale%3Den_IN%26catalogId%3D%2 6prevNValues%3D1003100

Asimov

akshay66
06-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Docel is absolutely right.The feeling of making your own sensor is awesome and people appreciate it much more.Please try if it does not work for you then you can day go for professional ones.

diffthinkr
06-30-2010, 06:16 PM
docel,
Thanks for your comment on my blog. I also like to experiment on things but the time constraint that I'm put on is not very favorable. I was mostly looking for a atmospheric pressure sensor and thanks to asimov, I think I've found what I was looking for.
If nothing would've worked, I was planning on rigging a simple barometer ( made using balloon and stuff) for the purpose. But that would not be too good.

Asimov,

Thanks for the wonderful link that you provided.

Thank you all for your help.

Roland
07-01-2010, 04:16 PM
HEy hi...U can get MPX10DP next eql forMPX2100 at Roland electronics in hyderabad for Rs1050 approximately...
Contact detail:
Roland Electronics
4-3-345/5 Gujarati Galli
Koti Hyderabad.500195.
Ph:040-24762746,24756823,09849070411
Fax:040-30726823.
Email: Kaizerkhambaty@yahoo.com

diffthinkr
07-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Thank you Roland but I've decided on getting a MPXH6115 for ~Rs 400. I could locate it nearest to me at Bangalore and am planing on ordering it. i someone is aware or how I could get it closer to Kerala please let me know