PDA

View Full Version : Help with Robotic arm with colour detection

sushmit1990
06-29-2010, 02:08 AM
Hey guys, i need some help with my project. I want to build a robotic arm capable of distinguishing objects of 3-4 colors, pick them up and place them according to the colour of the obeject, autunomously.......

Now, i know i can connect a webcam to the pc and detect colur of the object using MATLAB. i also know that stepper motrs can be controlled using microcontrollers.
Now, How do i control the motors based on the colour detected? how do i feed the results of MATLAB to the microcontroller???

Can the whole thing be done by any microcontroller?, both the image processing part nd controlling motors? or can the pc do both the things???? if so then how??? what kind of microcontroller will be suitable?? i have heard of ARM nd beagleboard but i dunno how to work with them. and if both the jobs can be done by PC then how should i go about it????

i will be glad if you help me with this..
Thanks

vikas
06-29-2010, 03:33 AM
What you are trying to do is pretty easy -

Just some image recognition and IKS knowledge is required.

1. Whats the DoF your arm ? Look into IKS that is what is required for connectin image rec system to the motors.
2. PC is the easiest way . ARM 9 ( Beagleboard ) is good too , but requires decent knowledge of linux. And a setup cost of say 11 k . Pic 32 and some other uC's have USB host so they can supposedly handle a webcam. But will be slow from image rec and hard to implement.

sushmit1990
06-29-2010, 12:07 PM
thanks.. dof is 3. sorry. i didnt understand the IKS part . could you explain that???

sushmit1990
06-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Any replies????

akshay66
06-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi i'm the same Akshay you talked last night.LOL.

I'm telling you don't go for ARM.

First build the robotic arm & try to control its movements using your arduino when you get some experience in it.This is because i'm sure you will surely have some problems with your robotics arm its not easy to build one and that too in your first attempt.

When you are done with it attach a webcam to it connect to PC.Write the code and also connect your arduino to PC.

If you dont know matlab then read this maybe it helps:
http://www.thinklabs.in/resources/?p=92