PDA

View Full Version : jobs in robotics - rare!?

goalus
06-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Hi,

I am interested in Artificial Intelligence which includes Robotics, Computer Vision. I have currently started a 1 year intern in AI. I completed BE in CS.

After 1 year intern I am planning to do MS in US in CS with AI as specilization. I would like to know the scope of Artificial Intelligence jobs in the world. I heard that in US it is difficult for non US citizens to get job in the field of AI. Also what about INDIA? I heard that there are no major companies in INDIA which look for ppl with specilization in AI.

Help, is it safe to choose a carrier in AI?

lolman_returns
06-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Honestly, No.
Jobs in AI in the US require a minimum of PhD. MS will take you nowhere, you will end up at a body shop (software consultant) in US with an MS in CS.
Oh totally forgot, if you have a great GRE score and have a shot at the top 5 Universities, then you can end up with a job.

As far as India is concerned, don't waste your time with MS or AI if you are looking for work in India. Firstly, There are no "challenging" AI jobs in India. Stick to a core
software job and keep gaining experience and make AI your hobby or something. Secondly and most importantly, having AI based accolades on your resume when
going for a job in India can be considered rather negative because most interviewers go, " Our company doesnt deal with exotic fields and we think you are over-qualified".
Unless you are going for Defense, which is not "challenging".

I dont really care about all the "righteous patriots" who are going to attack me just for the sake of defending the country, but this is the truth no matter how
bitter it sounds.

Honest advice :) Swallow it.

asimov_18
06-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Hi Lolman,
Any list of the top 5 universities you think will can help in getting a job.

Asimov

goalus
06-30-2010, 11:58 PM
Ok... now if doing MS in AI is a waste...what do people with MS in AI do?? I have seen many do MS in AI or any other fields like data mining, CN.... is the situtation better for other fields like data mining, CN??

lolman_returns
07-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Asimov: Gladly...

Massachusets Institute of Technology(Pvt), Carnegie Mellon Univ.(Pvt), UC Berkeley(Pvt), Cornell Univ., Ithaca (Pvt), University of Michigan (Pub), University of Maryland- College Park (Pub), University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign(Pub), University of Texas Austin(Pub)
Pub = Public University (state funded)
Pvt = Private University (super costly)

Believe it or not, just the tag of these universities will land you a job, and the AI work going on over there is extraordinary.

Goalus: You cannot compare Data Mining and Computer Networks to AI. AI is very exotic compared to them. You have seen many do MS in AI but did you care finding out where they ended up after the MS? My guess is that 10% went for PhD whereas the others got jobs in SAP, DM, CN or some other core CS field.

goalus
07-01-2010, 12:38 AM
lolman

If i do MS in AI, is Phd compulsary, to get good job and salary??

lolman_returns
07-01-2010, 12:48 AM
Most AI jobs are research based, so unless you are a PhD, the companies wont notice you. Moreover, currently with the H1B problems, you are playing a much safer bet with PhD. Also there are a lot more chances of getting fee waivers and graduate assistantships in case of MS+PhD programs compared to only MS.

goalus
07-01-2010, 04:46 AM
are there MS+Phd programs together?? Or i should do MS and then Phd? I will apply for F1 visa for MS. What is H1B?? and how will doing Phd help me in H1B?

lolman_returns
07-01-2010, 11:26 AM
I would suggest that you immediately get on with Googling for general information like "What is H1B"... Yes there are MS+PhD programs.
Just concentrate on your GRE score and keep it above 1450 atleast.

goalus
07-01-2010, 01:15 PM
lolman, have u done GRE and MS? coz u sound experienced.... i am worried abt spending 30L rupees for MS in AI, and ending up with no job. I heard that some fields in AI are active and hire non US citizens too in US. like, Gaming, Data Mining in AI, e-commerce, computer vision, etc....

lolman_returns
07-01-2010, 03:25 PM
I am a PhD and am currently working on my Post Doctorate Research.

30 Lacs!!! In most graduate student cases, they bring in first semester fees + an extra 2k-3k for initial settling expenses. Then you work towards getting a Research assistantship or a Teaching Assistantship, departmental scholarships, on campus employment or off campus employment. Dont worry too much about expenses, worry about the quality of education and the quality of work that YOU plan to put into your studies, and money will come to you. IF you have a good GRE score and get into a good university, money would be the last thing you would have to think about.

When I started my education, I came to US with $6.5K, that was the first and last amount that I took from home, its been 7 years now.

Start your MS, and keep PhD as a backup option when applying for jobs, if you dont get a job, you can always go for a fully funded PhD with stipend :)

goalus
07-01-2010, 04:41 PM
WOW!!! great.... looks like i found my role model

I am currently doing intern in AI. With this experience I hope to get in good/decent univs.
Did u publish any paper in any journal before your MS?
also which univ did u do MS?

lolman_returns
07-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Ok , now this thread is becoming more of a conversation. How about you email me at lolman_returns(at)hotmail(dot)com and we can take this discussion further.

godslayer
07-10-2010, 10:33 AM
WOW!!! great.... looks like i found my role model

I am currently doing intern in AI. With this experience I hope to get in good/decent univs.
Did u publish any paper in any journal before your MS?
also which univ did u do MS?

Watch of what you say... this guy is pretty tough to catch up with.. and ofcourse he is a role model to many

goalus
07-10-2010, 12:40 PM
I am not able to find lolman sir at all...:(:(:(

godslayer
07-10-2010, 09:04 PM
I am not able to find lolman sir at all...:(:(:(

he is busy with finding institutes in USA for completion of his PHd and ofcourse he has some very good offers lined up for him... and please dont call him SIR... once you meet him.. you will realize he is just like any other guy.. rather a fun guy to talk to :D