PDA

View Full Version : How to convert Serial Programmer to a USB Programmer

sukhoi1027
07-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Hi guys.

I have a programmer that uses a serial port. But my laptop has no support for serial port. Thus i wanted to convert my serial programmer to a USB one.. Can anybody suggest me a way to do that....

Thanx in advance..

MohitM
07-06-2010, 09:35 AM
You forgot to mention which programmer. Anyway, my bet is that the programmer won't work with the USB-serial dongles. So touch luck.

vikas
07-06-2010, 11:33 AM
like mohit said , unless your serial programmer is based on UART and takes external power supply it will not work with USB>serial.

You can buy a PCI-Serial card too , they are pretty cheap.

sukhoi1027
07-06-2010, 12:08 PM
My programmer is a ponyser...

vikas
07-06-2010, 12:31 PM
it wont work.

sukhoi1027
07-06-2010, 12:44 PM
So that means i need to change my programmer?? :(
Is it possible to construct one??

pratheek
07-06-2010, 01:08 PM
You have not mentioned for which microcontroller you want to build the programmer for.

If its AVR that you want to program, then try building the USBasp programmer.

sukhoi1027
07-06-2010, 09:03 PM
I was provided with an ATmega16 microcontroller wen i got the board.. Cud i get the complete circuitry with details regarding the USBasp programmer that will be good enough for a beginner like me.. Thanx to all for the help n support... :)

shobhitkukreti
07-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Please maintain a single thread for similar topic

sukhoi1027
07-06-2010, 10:23 PM
I already apologized for this.. Im new to this forum so didnt realise i started the topic in the wrong place.. then just forgot to delete it.. sorry for the trouble!!

Ulhas
07-07-2010, 08:36 AM
I was provided with an ATmega16 microcontroller wen i got the board.. Cud i get the complete circuitry with details regarding the USBasp programmer that will be good enough for a beginner like me.. Thanx to all for the help n support... :)

USBasp is already there for Rs. 270, Why to waste time in redesiging it

look here

http://elecrom.wordpress.com/products/

sukhoi1027
07-07-2010, 05:29 PM
@Ulhas: Totally agreed wid u... but its not about redesign the thing it rather learning while implementing the circuit..
Can u suggest something better..

pratheek
07-07-2010, 06:10 PM
What exactly do you want in the "better programmer" you are looking for? Do you want a programmer with a higher speed, compatibility, higher device support, higher flash addressing, etc?

If you expect any kind of help from us, please be a little informative.

The USBasp is a great programmer, but if you want a better one then you will have to go for one of Atmel's many USB programmers.

sukhoi1027
07-07-2010, 07:50 PM
The problem was that i had a serial programmer incompatible with my laptop.. So i just thought of developing one having a USB..
that wud actually solve my problem of an incompatible programmer n i'll learn a lot of stuff while doing this project.. I'd like to tell u that this is my first project..
Next time i will surely be a bit more informative about my project..
Thanx guys for the help.. :)

Ulhas
07-08-2010, 08:33 AM
The problem was that i had a serial programmer incompatible with my laptop.. So i just thought of developing one having a USB..
that wud actually solve my problem of an incompatible programmer n i'll learn a lot of stuff while doing this project.. I'd like to tell u that this is my first project..
Next time i will surely be a bit more informative about my project..
Thanx guys for the help.. :)

I think you are still in a learning stage, and what you want to learn while building the programmer is somthing funny for me.
TEll me
Are you going to write code for programmer ?
Are you creating GUI based software program ?

If answer to both are No, then by making USBasp yourself will help you only in learning soldering, even if you don't make PCB for that then you will get another couple of weeks for new learings why programmer is not working

Spend time ad learn the things which will have definate / directive purpose.
No point in spending the time when things are available and invented already.

you said you want to develop programmer having a USB that wud actually solve my problem of an incompatible programmer
Let us know what exactly you know about USB / Programmer / Mode of Programming. Limiting speed etc
writing in forum is easy but implementation with acquring knowledge is important

Also be specific what you want to learn while posting