PDA

View Full Version : Dextrin-coated PCB toner transfer paper

vikas
09-11-2010, 01:42 AM
Like the title says , are such PCB transfer papers available in india or any suitable alternatives ?

From what i read it lets you do much finer lines than simple magazine paper.

akshay66
09-11-2010, 08:29 PM
umm... I dont think something like that is available in india.

Three days ago i made a small 4cm x 4cm pcb. I used wax paper its was my attempt to it & it was near perfect.No residue on the board.One more tip while removing the wax paper dissolve it in alcohol.Alcohol dissolves wax.

Try It.Its really fascinating.

vikas
09-11-2010, 09:33 PM
I had heard of wax paper , I hope it works will with laser printers.

Ive had lots of paper jams while trying out materials.

asimov_18
09-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Hi,
I won't recommend wax paper.
Reason being once the toner is transferred from the OPC drum to the paper the toner is heat fused at abot 250 centigrade. Wax paper might leave residue on the heat fuse drum also there is a likelyhood of smuging the OPC drum during toner ransfer.

Magzine print is fine.

Asimov

Ulhas
09-12-2010, 10:43 AM
I tried to use the oil based paper which you can see majoritily used as sticker gum retaining paper.
I almost lost my tonner drum when i tried to use it for toner transfer for making pcb.
I think this will happen with Wax paper too.
You can read my below post reply to use normal plain paper to make PCB by tonner transfer method

http://www.roboticsindia.com/showthread.php/2948-need-pcb-making-paper/page2?highlight=screen+print

vikas
09-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Ive tried various papers magazine paper is the cheapest and works best in free category. But it is not 100% transfer of toner.

The dextrin based paper or release paper allows 100% toner transfer with minimal effort , thats why i was interested. Also results shown on some sites are very good.

Here are some links -

http://www.dipmicro.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=520

Its about Rs 70 per sheet , but i think itll save me a lot of time and headache. to avoid shipping was looking for local vendor.

akshay66
09-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Well, Maybe asimov is right. I use cheap small iron for heating and it got stick on it but got easily removed also.

Ulhas
09-12-2010, 06:24 PM
another good alternative is to Go for Iron on transfer paper which is designed for Laser printer and used for transferring image on T-shirts

akshay66
09-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Yeah i read it somewhere but that would a costly option and difficult to get also.

Coolpratheesh
09-15-2010, 12:31 AM
Guys I dont know the exact technical details of the paper ...... but I use this blue sheet coated with some kind of powder.... transfers the toner very neatly and without much effort but for this u need to bail out some cash guys..... its about 200 per sheet. it is available at Vishay in Lamington road. I usually buy in bulk so should have a few lying around...
but i have got beautiful results from normal paper also but only thing is u need to put in much more effort...

vikas
09-15-2010, 12:56 AM
@coolpratheesh

its pnp blue , its a polymer based paper comparable to dextrin based one, but some people have said dextrin one can give better results.

Anyhow guys ive already ordered 3 packs of dextrin sheets for myself from mouser , will get back how things go and if its any good. I want to get into smt but with simple magazine paper results are not really smt level.

allbits
09-15-2010, 01:33 AM
- with SMDs..

things are sometimes fine with 300 mil chips and 1206 devices, but if you go for a 150 mil TQFP or an SOIC or a 0805 - I would seriously suggest not to use any kind of toner transfer.
Get them made professionally. Especially if that is a microcontroller board with a crystal. The oscillator CAN fail. at anything more than 4 MHz, things can go wrong, i've had real bad experience with them.

Coolpratheesh
09-15-2010, 01:35 AM
actually u can call it paper .... der is no paper its more like an OHP sheet .....