PDA

View Full Version : Absolute Beginner; Need help to start/find resources and knowledge.

manu25
09-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Hi All, I am an absolute beginner in robot building and dont have any background related to it. I have a desire to start this as a hobby and have time to pursue it for the rest of my active life. So, I am seeking your help to solve my queries which i listed below:

Things I have :

A separate room which i am planning to convert as my workspace.
An unlimited internet access with a personal Laptop.
couple of hours to spend after my work on weekdays and maybe more over weekends.
Sufficient budget to collect all which is needed to get started and sustain in robotics.

Things I am looking for:

Steps or detailed article covering workplace setup (supported with pictures would be great).
List of elementry or advanced tools needed in robot building (also with vendors in india or the trusted websites delivering stuf in India).
Names/Links of Good books or study material to follow (for beginners and intermediate).
Magazines on robotics which we can subscribe in India.
A brief overview to kickstart and advices to save time.
If helpful/required, any robot Kits which could be ordered from the internet.

By profession I am a software engineer and have 7yrs of industry experience. I found some good and crisp answers while surfing through these forums which made me feel to join this community. Thanks to the moderators for giving me this opportunity.

Thanks in anticipation ....

ppppking04
09-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Congratulations on coming over to this side! I'm sure you'll like it here :)

Before people start flooding with ideas and suggestions, why don't you describe what you are interested in doing. You must have some idea now about different types of projects you can do e.g. tinkering with microcontroller programming based line followers, wall followers etc, or computer vision based projects, or some fancy new robots like bipeds, climbing robots etc. There are other types of projects. If you could describe what you are interested in, I'm sure the community would be able to help you better.

manu25
09-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Hi , Thanks for the reply, i was eagerly waiting for suggestions and answers.

Well, as i said i am totally new to this field so i want to first start with the project which is suggested to the starting point, rest all you advised may be advance or most advance projects. So, I assume if i want to build a line follower what all i need to buy and books to follow.

Eventually, I would like to build a robot which is capable of :
1.) Face/Human Body detection and processing
2.) Motion sensing of a human body.
3.) Speech recognition and processing.
4.) Moving based on its own logic processing. etc

I understand these might be some of the advance capabiliteis to developed in a robot but then thats why i want to do first thing first.
I would be thankfull if you seggest me the best Book for beginners and how it can be delivered in India AND places (preferably Websites to buy stuff required).

Thanks,
Manu

pratheek
09-18-2010, 05:14 PM
I know no robotics specific magazines being published in India. There are quite a few electronics magazines available though - Electronics for You and Electronics Maker.

There are not too many books on robotics. Most books in the market cover only the theory part and leave out the theory part.
Search the net for ideas and tutorials.

There were a few good articles in RI for beginners about the tools required for starting out in robotics, basic mechanics, electronics, etc. But I am unable to find them now. Try finding them. They must be somewhere in the Blog section.

aloksaini
09-19-2010, 09:36 PM
kk dude now you have started on this way

i know a book very good for beginners:

Avr a intoroductory course by john Morton

a very good book to start

you also have to learn some basic electronics to understand the function
of specific electronic components like resistance,capacitors,inductors etc
A good book on electronics is:

Starting Electronics by Keith Brindely

and yes also some
physical mechanics for calculating force
senter of mass etc
hope you will enjoy your new hobby

any problem pm me

i will help u

MGear
09-20-2010, 06:07 PM
For Electronics, I have been using a great book. Better buy and have it always with you :

"Practical Electronics for Inventors - Paul Scherz" ( McGraw Hill companies)

All the very best. :)

aloksaini
09-20-2010, 07:51 PM
ya thats also a good book

yaniv
09-21-2010, 08:25 AM
Frankly, just try to understand what people in here are talking by googleing its more than enough to get u in the track.

allbits
09-21-2010, 11:46 PM
forget the books and the resources.
Forget the planning either.

Just make something. If you have not made anything till now, you probably dont have the temperament for robotics.
Didnt mean to discourage. But if you have the temperament, you would have started already.

Many of us started with no resources at all. forget the internet, even a black and white monitor computer was way too expensive then. I dont think any of the active members here at RI started robotics with the so called books and massive support, or with any of the aforementioned suggestions. Get started, and that is the best way to start.

docel
09-23-2010, 09:25 AM
All plans and NO work makes Jack a dull Roboteer.....

Are you opening a Research Lab ???
Books don't tell you everything; practically connecting single a wire to a battery does.
Stop planning a Research Lab and start burning things. ( I started a Production company with nothing more than a cheap soldering iron, a VU meter from a dead Radio & a small part of our family dining table)

shashankn
11-21-2010, 01:44 PM
I have compiled my beginners experience in this blog. This might come in handy if your an absolute beginner :)
http://electproj.blogspot.com/
Hope you like it.

claus
11-21-2010, 09:28 PM
check this site
http://www.societyofrobots.com/
it has almost everything you need to know to get started