PDA

View Full Version : Image Processing Based Tracking System

jeetbuz
09-30-2010, 09:54 PM
HI:)
i want to make a Image processing based laser tracking system to track a baloon or ball using a laser
basically like defence system to shoot it down (if by any chance i can track it :p).
i am planning on using matlab, is it fissible using it??.
i only know basic of image processing,so pleaseee refer me some good books.

thanks!!

vikas
09-30-2010, 10:44 PM
why not give Open CV a try , The targeting and trackingobjective is pretty easy.

Complexity of laser targeting depends on the distance b/w the camera and baloon. for short range it should be easy ( use of the shelf servos ). Long ranges would require custom h/w for moving the laser.

asimov_18
10-01-2010, 12:46 AM
Hi Vikas,
Rather than moving the laser why not use mirrors which can be moved...infact it would be easier to move small mirrors......DLP projectors use this principle....

Asimov

jeetbuz
10-01-2010, 01:51 AM
range of 10 to 15 feet will be good.
laser is not the problem the main problem is coding.
we were taught matlab for winter training so i was hoping to do it in matlab
and get it signed by the teacher .

@vikas
thanks, will look into open cv, if you have some other suggestions please do tell.

robodam
10-01-2010, 11:02 AM
@jeetbuz: I am also planning to build a portable system having a camera using Image processing. One question i want to ask is will u use a micro controller and if yes which one?
Since Image processing does need a good processing power so it puts question mark on the use of microcontroller.

jeetbuz
10-01-2010, 01:01 PM
@robodam : right now my focus is coding to target the baloon so not decided about the uc.

The main problem is to get all the three co-ordinates for the balloon so that we can target it by a laser.(some ideas or links please)

@vikas
can we do tracking without a pc by using some DSP ??
or any way other than image processing to shoot down target autonomously????

robodam
10-01-2010, 02:45 PM
i think u should go for OpenCV since it is lighter and faster.
for learning open Cv u may visit IIT bombay techfest link

http://www.techfest.org/competitions/autobots/avalanche/#resources