PDA

View Full Version : Tank Treads

gshubham96
10-14-2010, 11:17 PM
I needed a method for robot locomotion so I choosed tank treads for this task.
I made a 26.5 " long tread made of hinges.It has a heavy weight.I tried to run the tracks on wheel but the motor just collapsed.
I used a 100 rpm geared motor.
When i opened it the gears were broken and I was only left with a 100 rpm DC or a stepper motor.
I want to know either I should use a new motor or a different track and how much powerful should the motor be?:confused::(

docel
10-15-2010, 01:06 AM
If you used those 'cheap' geared motors available 'everywhere' in India thats what is bound to happen ! You need more Torque - not more RPM. 100RPM is too weak to pull the weight of the hinges.
High torque = high current = expensive.
Why do you need tank tracks anyway?
Unless absolutely necessary, better use 4WD or even 6WD - they are much simpler to make and give better performance.

Ulhas
10-15-2010, 08:21 AM
Compare to DC motors Torque given by stepper motor @ same cost of DC motor is always high, but it lacks simplicity of interface circuit and rotation speed.

If feasible then go for stepper motor which will give you more torque at nearly same cost of DC motor

or go for lower RPM DC motors, for power calaculation you need to specify the total weight of your loco and the speed you want with dia of wheel

pratheek
10-15-2010, 10:02 AM
What torque you will require from your motor will depend mainly on your robot's weight and your wheel diameter including other less influential factors like the terrain's slope, required acceleration, velocity, etc.

You can work out the theoretical torque required using simple physics. But then you will also have to consider the efficiency of your tracks, which will be very less, considering the fact that you have used hinges. So you will have to use a motor that outputs a torque two or three times more than the calculated theoretical torque for a decent performance.

DC motors are usually more efficient than stepper motors and are available in a wide variety of torque and rpm options. So I would suggest you buy DC motors with good quality gears. You may also consider powering all your wheels with motors.

When choosing a motor if unsure, always favour torque over rpm.

shashak
10-15-2010, 10:17 AM
I made a 26.5 " long tread made of hinges.It has a heavy weight.

you means metallic hings ? If you are making your tank treads, i think that will not be good idea. Use readymade threads plastic one is more preferable than rubber because of durability.
Or if you are already using readymade threads then definitely don't go with plastic gearbox motors, even if you still want to go with plastic than motor support should be horizontal to motor rod for best structure support.