PDA

View Full Version : Skid steer wiring

lastRites
10-20-2010, 07:32 PM
I have made a wired robot using two DPDT switches. One for controlling motors on each side of the bot. But it becomes difficult to control the bot in a straight line. So I want a switch to control forward and backward movement of the bot while another one is used to turn the bot(running the motors on either side of the bot in opposite directions). But I cannot make the circuit work as the battery is getting shorted. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance :)

pratheek
10-21-2010, 06:38 PM
I guess you will have to use a microcontroller for that or use some logic gates. Use a microcontroller and you will have more flexibility. You will also have to use a H-Bridge to control your motors.

aloksaini
10-21-2010, 08:49 PM
pratheek is right

try finding something on h bridge motor controllers more
precisely l923d ic

pratheek
10-21-2010, 08:59 PM
aloksaini I think you mistyped L293D as l923d.

Anyway, lastRites, if you do decide to use a L293D, I would suggest you go for the L293NE, it can handle motor currents upto 1 A against the maximum current of 600 mA that L293D can handle.

aloksaini
10-21-2010, 09:16 PM
thanx anyways for my mistake..............

and yes l293d is for small projects

thanx pratheek

lastRites
10-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Is it not possible to make this circuit work without using electronics? Our motors (2) need 0.8A(No load)-8.5A(stall) each, to run. Our budget prohibits us from getting motor controllers that can handle this range of current. I have asked around and got a hold of this link: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Build-a-Robot---The-BeetleBot/
But I am at a loss as how to implement this circuit to run our bot. I have another idea that might solve this problem mechanically. This may be done by using 2 pairs of DPDT switches, 2 identically wired switches for each side of the bot. I mechanically connect 2 switches of either side together such that when I push a switch both get depressed. Now if I make two such pairs such that one pair moves the bot forward (both switches in identical orientation ) and the other pair moves it clockwise or counter-clockwise(one switch inverted) would it work??

asimov_18
10-23-2010, 03:32 PM
If using a high power H bridge is a problem then use a DPDT relay to replicate the effect this won't short the battery.

Asimov