PDA

View Full Version : RMS Vs PMPO

akshay66
01-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Hi all,
I am trying to make a portable 2.1 speaker system with a 3.5mm Jack compatible with mobiles,laptops, iPODs etc.

I am planning to use 3 TDA2030 amplifiers.While reading about various other IC's and their powers i read two terms RMS and PMPO.I want to know how are they different with each other and where to use when???

I have searched in wikipedia and google got some idea but still not satisfied. Please Help :)

Regards Akshay,

vikas
01-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Think of DC vs AC , PMPO is the maximum attainable Power but for a short burst ( Peak ) , While RMS is the avg contant power output which can be attained ( Mean ).

Higher RMS is what ur looking for, PMPO is just for sales copy. Most high end systems will quote in RMS.

akshay66
01-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Thank You Vikas.

shashak
01-07-2011, 02:06 AM
Well akshay66 i am not discouraging you, but just to say i lost many years of school dayz in building sound boxes firstly by readymade kits then prototyping and ultimately got a readymade one. Because whatever you do you will find there sound quality no match with readymade ones. Times lost in just getting correct design. So for experiment itís good but leaves it if not got very good quality even after 3-4 attempts.

admin
01-07-2011, 02:18 AM
@shashank - totaly agree

Me too spent time building AMP's and cassette players, the quality was never comparable to the ready made stuff.

Till graduation i never bought a sound system , always assembled them, Mainly cause I had lots of time and little cash.

Looking Back it was FUN ... dun regret doing any of it :) .

-Vikas