View Full Version : need help in connecting 6v relay

puneetverma24
01-15-2011, 05:13 PM
how to connect 8 pin relay

there is fig in it ,i unable to understand it

check out the image

pratheek
01-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Tough to tell anything without the relay part no.

But with respect to the image you have uploaded,

Pin 3 and Pin 5 are the two contacts connected to the relay coil. To switch the relay on, apply 6V across these pins and apply 0 V to turn the relay off.

Pin 4 is where you will have to provide power which will drive the load. Pin 1 is the Normally Closed terminal, that is, it is connected to Pin 4 when the coil is not energized. Pin 8 is probably the Normally Closed terminal, that is, it is connected to Pin 4 when the relay is energized.

Pin 6 is probably not connected to anything and is just there to provide mechanical stability to the relay when it is soldered onto a board.

I'm not sure about this so please verify once with a multimeter before connecting it to a load. Only two pins should have a fixed resistance between them - the pins connected to the relay coil. Once you know the pins connected to the relay coil, you can find out the other pins by conducting a simple continuity test using a multimeter.

shobhitkukreti
01-15-2011, 05:54 PM
I think it is a OEN series relay.

asimov_18
01-15-2011, 06:01 PM
OEN is a brand name!!! use a multimeter and check the continuity between the pins of relay until you find two pins which have a resistance above 100 ohm, these two pins correspond to the coil. and then check the remaining 6 pins. two pairs will give a low resistance now energize the coil and make similar reading, this should help you locate the center pin of the relay.

Puneet this is a very simple and basic question!!!!! may be u should break onpen one relay and study it!!!!!

an 8 pin relay is a DPDT type relay!!!

Asimov

shobhitkukreti
01-15-2011, 08:26 PM
I know asimov, i did not remember the part number.

puneetverma24
01-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Tough to tell anything without the relay part no.

But with respect to the image you have uploaded,

Pin 3 and Pin 5 are the two contacts connected to the relay coil. To switch the relay on, apply 6V across these pins and apply 0 V to turn the relay off.

Pin 4 is where you will have to provide power which will drive the load. Pin 1 is the Normally Closed terminal, that is, it is connected to Pin 4 when the coil is not energized. Pin 8 is probably the Normally Closed terminal, that is, it is connected to Pin 4 when the relay is energized.

Pin 6 is probably not connected to anything and is just there to provide mechanical stability to the relay when it is soldered onto a board.

I'm not sure about this so please verify once with a multimeter before connecting it to a load. Only two pins should have a fixed resistance between them - the pins connected to the relay coil. Once you know the pins connected to the relay coil, you can find out the other pins by conducting a simple continuity test using a multimeter.

pratheek is right

but what the use of pin 2 & 7

pratheek
01-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Run a continuity check between the pins when the relay once when the relay is on and then again when it is off and let us know what you get. Based on that we will be able to tell you whats pin 2 & 7 for.

If you have the relay part no. then you will save yourself a lot of work.