PDA

View Full Version : Best USB programmer

mcufreak
02-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Two months ago when i purchased a 'development board' for AT89s52 chip, i came to know that there it was 'serial port' based which is not there even in desktops nowadays so i have to program my first MCU in college lab with a 'special permission' from HOD.

To own a complete 'lab' i decided to buy USB to serial converter but again i came to know it does not work with all programmers.
Being a PIC fan finally i purchased a pickit 2 from nex-robotics.com, But most of the beginners dont want to invest 3-4 K just for programmer.
All the beginners often have a dilemma in deciding the programmer which is-
1)USB based
2)Cheap(Around Rs 1000 )
3)Hassle free in terms of programmer software, self powered etc.
An answer from senior members will help a lot to all the beginners.....

mcufreak
02-11-2011, 02:45 PM
for AVRs its probably an Atmega8 based programmer like this....http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

vikas
02-11-2011, 03:53 PM
There is none as of now, If you have used ICD3 you will see pickit 2 is SLOW.
Also usbasp is too slow compared even to pickit 2 :).

Best is to go the bootloader way for beginners, though thats a little slow too but works fine . Also no need for a programmer. one of the main reasons of Arduinos success.

What uC are you wanting to work on ?

If someone can come up with cypress ezusb fx2 based high speed programmer ... that will be FAST.

mcufreak
02-11-2011, 04:17 PM
What uC are you wanting to work on ?

AT89s52
I need USB based programmer for it first priority is low cost, second is compact, and then features/performance/speed.

vikas
02-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Why dont you look into p89v51rd2

Its almost same price but 64 kb flash and 2 kb rom. And best of all serially programmable ( Any cheap usb to serial converter will do )

pratheek
02-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Use the P89V51RD2 like Vikas suggests. Needs no programmer.

If you still want to use the AT89s52 with a USB Programmer, then try the USBasp. Google and you will find a firmware mod for it on the internet, which you can use to program the AT89S52 with the same hardware.